Bagration's Grave by the Monument on the Raevskii Redoubt. Borodino Battlefield
In 1911–12, in connection with the centenary of the 1812 Napoleonic campaign against Russia, Sergei Mikhailovich Prokudin-Gorskii (1863–1944) photographed sites along the invasion route. Foremost among them was the Borodino battlefield. Shown here is the grave of Prince Piotr Bagration, commander of the Second Western Army of the Russian forces. Mortally wounded at Borodino, Bagration died on September 24 and was buried at the estate of Prince Boris Golitsyn in the village of Sima (Vladimir Province). In 1839, his remains were reburied in the shadow of the main battlefield monument, the 27-meter obelisk at the Raevskii Redoubt. Dedicated in the presence of Tsar Nicholas I in July 1839, the obelisk and grave were demolished in 1932 by the Soviet regime because of their association with the tsarist era. As part of the recreation of the battlefield monument, fragments of his remains were gathered and reinterred in August 1987. Prokudin-Gorskii used a special color photography process to create a visual record of the Russian Empire in the early 20th century. Some of his photographs date from about 1905, but the bulk of his work is from between 1909 and 1915, when, with the support of Tsar Nicholas II and the Ministry of Transportation, he undertook extended trips through many different parts of the empire.
Title in Original Language
Могила Багратиона у памятника на редуте Раевскаго. Бородино
Type of Item
Glass negative (presented as a digital color composite)
- Prokudin-Gorskii’s photographic work survives primarily in two forms: 1,901 black-and-white triple-frame glass plate negatives, made with color separation filters, which Prokudin-Gorskii used to make color prints and lantern slides; and 12 albums of sepia-tone prints, made from the glass negatives, which Prokudin-Gorskii compiled as a record of his travels and studies. The Library of Congress purchased the glass plate negatives and the albums from the Prokudin-Gorskii family in 1948. In 2004, the Library of Congress had digital color composites made from all the surviving glass negatives using a software algorithm to automatically align the color components. As with most historical photographs, title and subject identifications are corrected and enhanced through new research. Current information on the collection is at http://www.loc.gov/pictures/collection/prok/.
Last updated: November 1, 2016