View of the Southern Part of Tiflis from the Grounds of Saint David Church
In 1905, Russian photographer Sergei Mikhailovich Prokudin-Gorskii (1863–1944) traveled and photographed extensively in the Caucasus region. In 1912, Prokudin-Gorskii returned to photograph the dramatic landscape and ancient monuments of the mountainous interior of the Caucasus region. His photographs include this stunning view of the capital city of Tbilisi (then called “Tiflis” in Russian). Although settlements on the site had existed much earlier, Tbilisi is considered to have been founded in the 5th century by Vaxtang I, the Georgian ruler of an ancient kingdom known as Iberia. In the 6th century, Tbilisi became the capital of the region. In 1801, the Georgian Kingdom of Kartli-Kakheti was annexed to the Russian Empire. In 1991 Tbilisi became the capital of an independent Georgia. As seen in this view looking toward the east from Saint David’s Hill, most of the city is located on a plain formed by the Kura (Mtkvari) River (visible in the center of the photograph). On the right bank of the river, Tbilisi ascends hills that form the Trialeti Range. Seen throughout the city are Georgian Orthodox churches, culminating in distinctive conical domes. Prokudin-Gorskii used a special color photography process to create a visual record of the Russian Empire in the early 20th century. Some of his photographs date from about 1905, but the bulk of his work is from between 1909 and 1915, when, with the support of Tsar Nicholas II and the Ministry of Transportation, he undertook extended trips through many different parts of the empire.
Title in Original Language
Вид на южн. часть Тифлиса с площадки церкви Св. Давида
Type of Item
Glass negative (presented as a digital color composite)
- Prokudin-Gorskii’s photographic work survives primarily in two forms: 1,901 black-and-white triple-frame glass plate negatives, made with color separation filters, which Prokudin-Gorskii used to make color prints and lantern slides; and 12 albums of sepia-tone prints, made from the glass negatives, which Prokudin-Gorskii compiled as a record of his travels and studies. The Library of Congress purchased the glass plate negatives and the albums from the Prokudin-Gorskii family in 1948. In 2004, the Library of Congress had digital color composites made from all the surviving glass negatives using a software algorithm to automatically align the color components. As with most historical photographs, title and subject identifications are corrected and enhanced through new research. Current information on the collection is at http://www.loc.gov/pictures/collection/prok/.
Last updated: October 7, 2016