Arch before the Entrance to Timotis-Ubanskii Monastery


The Timotesubani Monastery is a Georgian Orthodox shrine located in the Borjomi Gorge near the town of Tsagveri in the region of Samtskhe-Javakheti. This 1912 view shows the overgrown ruins of the arched entrance to the monastery, whose earliest structures may date to the 11th century. The entryway is of interest for its complex design composed of several segments and for its construction in flat local brick of orange-brown color. The early patrons of the monastery patrons are thought to have been the brothers Shalva and Ivane Toreli-Akhaltiskheli, rulers of the medieval fiefdom of Tori during the reign of Queen Tamar (reigned 1184–1213). Shalva, known for his struggle against various Islamic forces, died in captivity in 1227. The image is by Russian photographer Sergei Mikhailovich Prokudin-Gorskii (1863–1944), who used a special color photography process to create a visual record of the Russian Empire in the early 20th century. Some of Prokudin-Gorskii’s photographs date from about 1905, but the bulk of his work is from between 1909 and 1915, when, with the support of Tsar Nicholas II and the Ministry of Transportation, he undertook extended trips through many parts of the empire. In 1912 he traveled to the Caucasus to photograph Georgia and its mountainous scenery.

Date Created

Subject Date

Title in Original Language

Арка перед входом в Тимотис-Убанский монастырь

Additional Subjects

Type of Item

Physical Description

Glass negative (presented as a digital color composite)


  • Prokudin-Gorskii’s photographic work survives primarily in two forms: 1,901 black-and-white triple-frame glass plate negatives, made with color separation filters, which Prokudin-Gorskii used to make color prints and lantern slides; and 12 albums of sepia-tone prints, made from the glass negatives, which Prokudin-Gorskii compiled as a record of his travels and studies. The Library of Congress purchased the glass plate negatives and the albums from the Prokudin-Gorskii family in 1948. In 2004, the Library of Congress had digital color composites made from all the surviving glass negatives using a software algorithm to automatically align the color components. As with most historical photographs, title and subject identifications are corrected and enhanced through new research. Current information on the collection is at

Last updated: September 28, 2016