View of Borzhom on Chernaia River from the Vorontsov Plateau


In 1905, Russian photographer Sergei Mikhailovich Prokudin-Gorskii (1863–1944) traveled and photographed extensively in the Caucasus region. In 1912, Prokudin-Gorskii returned to photograph the dramatic landscape and ancient monuments of the mountainous interior of the Caucasus region. He also photographed Borjomi (formerly known as Borzhom), located in the Borjomi Gorge in south-central Georgia. Long occupied by the Ottoman Empire, the Borjomi area came under Russian control in the 1820s and developed into a resort known for its waters. In 1871, the town was granted to Grand Duke Mikhail Nikolaevich (1832–1909), who served as Governor General of Caucasia between 1862 and 1882. Nikolaevich played a major role in developing Borjomi as a destination for the elite of Russia, and the spa into a highly profitable enterprise. This dramatic photograph, taken from a cliff over the Borjomi Gorge, shows the Kura River (the original caption is incorrect) and the town, with its imposing main spa building. Guarding the road high above the left bank is the Gogia Fortress, originating perhaps as early as the 12th century. The Kura is the largest river in the Caucasus; it flows some 1,360 kilometers eastward past the capital city of Tbilisi and toward the Caspian Sea. Prokudin-Gorskii used a special color photography process to create a visual record of the Russian Empire in the early 20th century. Some of his photographs date from about 1905, but the bulk of his work is from between 1909 and 1915, when, with the support of Tsar Nicholas II and the Ministry of Transportation, he undertook extended trips through many different parts of the empire.

Date Created

Subject Date

Title in Original Language

Вид на Боржом по Черной речке с Воронцовскаго плато

Type of Item

Physical Description

Glass negative (presented as a digital color composite)


  • Prokudin-Gorskii’s photographic work survives primarily in two forms: 1,901 black-and-white triple-frame glass plate negatives, made with color separation filters, which Prokudin-Gorskii used to make color prints and lantern slides; and 12 albums of sepia-tone prints, made from the glass negatives, which Prokudin-Gorskii compiled as a record of his travels and studies. The Library of Congress purchased the glass plate negatives and the albums from the Prokudin-Gorskii family in 1948. In 2004, the Library of Congress had digital color composites made from all the surviving glass negatives using a software algorithm to automatically align the color components. As with most historical photographs, title and subject identifications are corrected and enhanced through new research. Current information on the collection is at

Last updated: October 7, 2016