Ekaterinin Spring. Borzhom
The town of Borjomi (formerly known as Borzhom) is located in the Borjomi gorge in south central Georgia. Long occupied by the Ottoman Empire, the Borjomi area came under Russian control in the 1820s and developed into a resort known for its waters. In 1871 the town was granted to Grand Duke Mikhail Nikolaevich (1832–1909), who served as governor general of Caucasia between 1862 and 1882 and played a major role in developing Borjomi as a destination for Russia’s elite. This remarkable photograph depicts that elite at the Catherine Spring, one of the fashionable pavilions. An officer in dress uniform, with scarlet aiguillettes on the right shoulder and a sword in scabbard at his left side, accompanies the elegantly dressed women. The image is by Russian photographer Sergei Mikhailovich Prokudin-Gorskii (1863–1944), who used a special color photography process to create a visual record of the Russian Empire in the early 20th century. Some of Prokudin-Gorskii’s photographs date from about 1905, but the bulk of his work is from between 1909 and 1915, when, with the support of Tsar Nicholas II and the Ministry of Transportation, he undertook extended trips through many different parts of the empire. In 1912 Prokudin-Gorskii traveled extensively in Georgia, where he photographed the dramatic landscape and ancient monuments of the mountainous interior.
Title in Original Language
Екатерининский источник. Боржом
Type of Item
Glass negative (presented as a digital color composite)
- Prokudin-Gorskii’s photographic work survives primarily in two forms: 1,901 black-and-white triple-frame glass plate negatives, made with color separation filters, which Prokudin-Gorskii used to make color prints and lantern slides; and 12 albums of sepia-tone prints, made from the glass negatives, which Prokudin-Gorskii compiled as a record of his travels and studies. The Library of Congress purchased the glass plate negatives and the albums from the Prokudin-Gorskii family in 1948. In 2004, the Library of Congress had digital color composites made from all the surviving glass negatives using a software algorithm to automatically align the color components. As with most historical photographs, title and subject identifications are corrected and enhanced through new research. Current information on the collection is at http://www.loc.gov/pictures/collection/prok/.
Last updated: September 28, 2016