Home of Nikolai Savvich Abaz on His Former Estate Nidzhi


Shown here is the small house of Nikolai Savvich Abaza at his former estate of Nidzhi near the village of Loo, in the Sochi area. Abaza (1837–1901) descended from a prominent Moldavian family that entered Russian service in the early 18th century. Trained as a doctor at Kharkiv and Moscow Universities, Abaza served with distinction in the Russian army in the 1860s, during the final phase of the Caucasian War in Georgia. His administrative abilities subsequently led him to high positions in the tsarist bureaucracy. His service in the Caucasus likely influenced his decision to retire to the mild climate of the Sochi area, already known as a resort favored by the imperial court. Visible in the foreground are palms. The image is by Russian photographer Sergei Mikhailovich Prokudin-Gorskii (1863–1944), who used a special color photography process to create a visual record of the Russian Empire in the early 20th century. Some of Prokudin-Gorskii’s photographs date from about 1905, but the bulk of his work is from between 1909 and 1915, when, with the support of Tsar Nicholas II and the Ministry of Transportation, he undertook extended trips through many different parts of the empire. Prokudin-Gorskii made a number of trips to the Caucasus, including one in 1912 during which he photographed extensively along the Black Sea coast, including the area around Sochi.

Date Created

Subject Date

Title in Original Language

Дом Николая Саввича Абаза в бывшем его имении Ниджи

Additional Subjects

Type of Item

Physical Description

Glass negative (presented as a digital color composite)


  • Prokudin-Gorskii’s photographic work survives primarily in two forms: 1,901 black-and-white triple-frame glass plate negatives, made with color separation filters, which Prokudin-Gorskii used to make color prints and lantern slides; and 12 albums of sepia-tone prints, made from the glass negatives, which Prokudin-Gorskii compiled as a record of his travels and studies. The Library of Congress purchased the glass plate negatives and the albums from the Prokudin-Gorskii family in 1948. In 2004, the Library of Congress had digital color composites made from all the surviving glass negatives using a software algorithm to automatically align the color components. As with most historical photographs, title and subject identifications are corrected and enhanced through new research. Current information on the collection is at http://www.loc.gov/pictures/collection/prok/.

Last updated: September 28, 2016