Gagra. His Highness Prince Oldenburg's Palace from the Highway


In 1905 Russian photographer Sergei Mikhailovich Prokudin-Gorskii (1863–1944) traveled and photographed extensively in the Caucasus region. In the spring of 1912, Prokudin-Gorskii returned to photograph in the Caucasus region, including the resort of Gagra in Abkhazia, located in the northern part of Georgia and on the coast of the Black Sea. Much of the Transcaucasian area was dominated by the Ottoman Empire during the 16th century. In 1810, the Turks were expelled from the area, but the Russian settlement at Gagra remained isolated and was subject to attack from Circassian warriors. In 1864, Abkhazia was formally annexed by the Russian Empire. During the Russo-Turkish War of 1877–78, Gagra was briefly occupied and sacked by the Turks. At the turn of the 20th century, Prince Aleksandr Olʹdenburgskii invested heavily to develop the area—which had spectacular scenery—into a “Russian Riviera.” Seen in this view from the Gagra pier is the coastal station and boathouse, with a large signals mast on the shore. On the left are two figures, each holding a parasol (one red, one black), seated on benches within an attractive vined pergola. Visible on the forested slope in the background is a private residence whose curved central pediment is flanked by two turrets with steeply-pitched roofs. Prokudin-Gorskii used a special color photography process to create a visual record of the Russian Empire in the early 20th century. Some of his photographs date from about 1905, but the bulk of his work is from between 1909 and 1915, when, with the support of Tsar Nicholas II and the Ministry of Transportation, he undertook extended trips through many different parts of the empire.

Date Created

Subject Date

Title in Original Language

Гагры. Дворец Его Высочества Принца Ольденбургского с шоссе

Type of Item

Physical Description

Glass negative (presented as a digital color composite)


  • Prokudin-Gorskii’s photographic work survives primarily in two forms: 1,901 black-and-white triple-frame glass plate negatives, made with color separation filters, which Prokudin-Gorskii used to make color prints and lantern slides; and 12 albums of sepia-tone prints, made from the glass negatives, which Prokudin-Gorskii compiled as a record of his travels and studies. The Library of Congress purchased the glass plate negatives and the albums from the Prokudin-Gorskii family in 1948. In 2004, the Library of Congress had digital color composites made from all the surviving glass negatives using a software algorithm to automatically align the color components. As with most historical photographs, title and subject identifications are corrected and enhanced through new research. Current information on the collection is at

Last updated: September 28, 2016