Cherniavskii Mountain, from the East. Sukhumi
In 1905 Russian photographer Sergei Mikhailovich Prokudin-Gorskii (1863–1944) traveled and photographed extensively in the Caucasus region. In 1912, Prokudin-Gorskii returned to photograph the Caucasus region, including in the territory of Georgia and along the coast of the Black Sea. Among the locations he visited was Sukhumi, the major city of Abkhazia, located in the northern part of Georgia. Known to the Greeks, Romans, and Byzantines, the area was dominated by the Ottoman Empire during the 16th century. The Turks were expelled from Sukhumi in 1810, and the region was annexed by the Russian Empire in 1864. This view shows Sukhum Hill, located to the east of the town. It was also known as Cherniavskii Hill, named after Vladimir Cherniavskii (1846–1915), a prominent local historian who built a dacha at the bottom of the hill. Originally forested, the trees on the slopes of the hill were cut for use as building material and perhaps fuel. Large houses ascend the hill on the left, while pasture boundaries are visible on the slope to the right. Part of the level terrain in the foreground is planted with crops. Prokudin-Gorskii used a special color photography process to create a visual record of the Russian Empire in the early 20th century. Some of his photographs date from about 1905, but the bulk of his work is from between 1909 and 1915, when, with the support of Tsar Nicholas II and the Ministry of Transportation, he undertook extended trips through many different parts of the empire.
Title in Original Language
Гора Чернявскаго с востока. Сухум
Type of Item
Glass negative (presented as a digital color composite)
- Prokudin-Gorskii’s photographic work survives primarily in two forms: 1,901 black-and-white triple-frame glass plate negatives, made with color separation filters, which Prokudin-Gorskii used to make color prints and lantern slides; and 12 albums of sepia-tone prints, made from the glass negatives, which Prokudin-Gorskii compiled as a record of his travels and studies. The Library of Congress purchased the glass plate negatives and the albums from the Prokudin-Gorskii family in 1948. In 2004, the Library of Congress had digital color composites made from all the surviving glass negatives using a software algorithm to automatically align the color components. As with most historical photographs, title and subject identifications are corrected and enhanced through new research. Current information on the collection is at http://www.loc.gov/pictures/collection/prok/.
Last updated: September 28, 2016