Lau-Dzhen-Dzhau's House. Chakva


The southern part of Georgia, with its mild, humid climate along the Black Sea near the Turkish border, was conducive to the cultivation of semitropical plants such as tea. By the beginning of the 20th century the plantation and processing factories at Chakva, to the north of the port of Batumi, had become one of the main suppliers of tea to the Russian Empire. Shown here is the imposing residence of the leading Chinese specialist at the Chakva tea plantation, Lau-Dzhan-Dzhau. He made a substantial contribution to the demanding and highly profitable cultivation of tea. The mansion was situated on a high cliff with a breathtaking view of the Black Sea. In the foreground is a carefully tended park lined with cedars and large magnolias. The image is by Russian photographer Sergei Mikhailovich Prokudin-Gorskii (1863–1944), who used a special color photography process to create a visual record of the Russian Empire in the early 20th century. Some of Prokudin-Gorskii’s photographs date from about 1905, but the bulk of his work is from between 1909 and 1915, when, with the support of Tsar Nicholas II and the Ministry of Transportation, he undertook extended trips through many different parts of the empire. In 1905 and again in 1912 Prokudin-Gorskii traveled in the Caucasus, including the territory of Georgia and the Black Sea coast.

Date Created

Subject Date

Title in Original Language

Дом Лау-Джень-Джау. Чаква

Additional Subjects

Type of Item

Physical Description

Glass negative (presented as a digital color composite)


  • Prokudin-Gorskii’s photographic work survives primarily in two forms: 1,901 black-and-white triple-frame glass plate negatives, made with color separation filters, which Prokudin-Gorskii used to make color prints and lantern slides; and 12 albums of sepia-tone prints, made from the glass negatives, which Prokudin-Gorskii compiled as a record of his travels and studies. The Library of Congress purchased the glass plate negatives and the albums from the Prokudin-Gorskii family in 1948. In 2004, the Library of Congress had digital color composites made from all the surviving glass negatives using a software algorithm to automatically align the color components. As with most historical photographs, title and subject identifications are corrected and enhanced through new research. Current information on the collection is at

Last updated: September 28, 2016