Cape Zelenyi in Batum. In Baratov's Garden. Study


In 1905 and again in 1912, Russian photographer Sergei Mikhailovich Prokudin-Gorskii (1863–1944) traveled and photographed extensively in the Caucasus region. This view shows rhododendron and other flowering plants in the park at Likani, located on the Tura River near the resort of Borjomi in southwestern Georgia. The Tura River flows through the Borjomi Gorge, which separates the mountains of the Meskheti Range (seen here in the background) from the Trialeti Range to the south. The Likani Park was part of a palace complex developed in 1892–95 by Grand Duke Nikolai Mikhailovich (1859–1919), grandson of Tsar Nicholas I. The grand duke spent much of his childhood in Tbilisi, where his father, Grand Duke Mikhail Nikolaevich, served as the viceroy of the Caucasus from 1862 to 1881. Prokudin-Gorskii often photographed local flora to document the environment and to demonstrate the range of his photographic technique. The emulsion surfaces of the glass negatives for this photograph show extensive damage. Prokudin-Gorskii used a special color photography process to create a visual record of the Russian Empire in the early 20th century. Some of his photographs date from about 1905, but the bulk of his work is from between 1909 and 1915, when, with the support of Tsar Nicholas II and the Ministry of Transportation, he undertook extended trips through many different parts of the empire.

Date Created

Subject Date

Title in Original Language

Зеленый мыс у Батума. В саду Баратова. Этюд

Additional Subjects

Type of Item

Physical Description

Glass negative (presented as a digital color composite)


  • Prokudin-Gorskii’s photographic work survives primarily in two forms: 1,901 black-and-white triple-frame glass plate negatives, made with color separation filters, which Prokudin-Gorskii used to make color prints and lantern slides; and 12 albums of sepia-tone prints, made from the glass negatives, which Prokudin-Gorskii compiled as a record of his travels and studies. The Library of Congress purchased the glass plate negatives and the albums from the Prokudin-Gorskii family in 1948. In 2004, the Library of Congress had digital color composites made from all the surviving glass negatives using a software algorithm to automatically align the color components. As with most historical photographs, title and subject identifications are corrected and enhanced through new research. Current information on the collection is at

Last updated: September 28, 2016