Board with an Inscription on the Chapel of Our Savior. Cherdyn
Settled as early as the 9th century, Cherdyn became an important eastern outpost of Muscovy in the latter half of the 15th century. In January 1547, the settlement was attacked by a large force of Nogai Tatars. This iron tablet, attached to a wall of the Spas Nerukotvornyi (Chapel of the Savior), commemorates 85 people killed in the raid. At the top of the tablet is an image of the Orthodox cross. The conquest, in 1552 by Ivan the Terrible, of Kazan, capital of the Tatar khanate on the Volga River, eliminated the threat of such raids. The Chapel of the Savior was razed in the 1930s and the tablet was deposited in the town’s Regional History Museum. By 2007 the chapel was rebuilt. The image is by Russian photographer Sergei Mikhailovich Prokudin-Gorskii (1863–1944), who used a special color photography process to create a visual record of the Russian Empire in the early 20th century. Some of Prokudin-Gorskii’s photographs date from about 1905, but the bulk of his work is from between 1909 and 1915, when, with the support of Tsar Nicholas II and the Ministry of Transportation, he undertook extended trips through many different parts of the empire. From 1909 to 1912 he photographed extensively in the Ural Mountains, including a 1912 trip to the town of Cherdyn in the north central part of the Perm region.
Title in Original Language
Доска с надписью на Спасской часовне. [Чердынь]
Type of Item
Glass negative (presented as a digital color composite)
- Prokudin-Gorskii’s photographic work survives primarily in two forms: 1,901 black-and-white triple-frame glass plate negatives, made with color separation filters, which Prokudin-Gorskii used to make color prints and lantern slides; and 12 albums of sepia-tone prints, made from the glass negatives, which Prokudin-Gorskii compiled as a record of his travels and studies. The Library of Congress purchased the glass plate negatives and the albums from the Prokudin-Gorskii family in 1948. In 2004, the Library of Congress had digital color composites made from all the surviving glass negatives using a software algorithm to automatically align the color components. As with most historical photographs, title and subject identifications are corrected and enhanced through new research. Current information on the collection is at http://www.loc.gov/pictures/collection/prok/.
Last updated: September 28, 2016