Chapel of Our Savior on the Site of Dead Soldiers, in the City of Cherdyn
In 1909 and 1910, Russian photographer Sergei Mikhailovich Prokudin-Gorskii (1863–1944) traveled extensively in the territory around the Ural Mountains, where he photographed railroad installations, factories, urban settings, and natural landscapes. His visit to the northern Urals in the summer of 1912 included a trip to the regional center of Cherdyn, located 310 kilometers north of the city of Perm. Cherdyn served as an important eastern outpost of the Muscovite state in the latter half of the 15th century. In January 1547, the area was attacked by a large force of Nogai Tatars, resulting in much loss of life. In the 17th century, a log chapel dedicated to the Miraculous Icon of the Savior (Spas Nerukotvornyi) was erected to commemorate the 85 people killed at the nearby village of Kondratieva. This structure was replaced in the late 18th century by a brick chapel, seen in this photograph. The chapel plot was enclosed by a brick and iron fence with an arched entrance. Thereafter, a log vestibule was added between the chapel and the arch. Razed in the 1930s, the Savior Chapel was rebuilt without the vestibule in 2007. In the background of this image is the Church of the Trinity, built in the early 19th century and razed during the Soviet period. Prokudin-Gorskii used a special color photography process to create a visual record of the Russian Empire in the early 20th century. Some of his photographs date from about 1905, but the bulk of his work is from between 1909 and 1915, when, with the support of Tsar Nicholas II and the Ministry of Transportation, he undertook extended trips through many different parts of the empire.
Title in Original Language
Спасская часовня над убиенными воинами в г. Чердынь
Type of Item
Glass negative (presented as a digital color composite)
- Prokudin-Gorskii’s photographic work survives primarily in two forms: 1,901 black-and-white triple-frame glass plate negatives, made with color separation filters, which Prokudin-Gorskii used to make color prints and lantern slides; and 12 albums of sepia-tone prints, made from the glass negatives, which Prokudin-Gorskii compiled as a record of his travels and studies. The Library of Congress purchased the glass plate negatives and the albums from the Prokudin-Gorskii family in 1948. In 2004, the Library of Congress had digital color composites made from all the surviving glass negatives using a software algorithm to automatically align the color components. As with most historical photographs, title and subject identifications are corrected and enhanced through new research. Current information on the collection is at http://www.loc.gov/pictures/collection/prok/.
Last updated: September 28, 2016