Village of Vilgord on the Way from Cherdyn to the Village of Nyrob
In 1909 and 1910, Russian photographer Sergei Mikhailovich Prokudin-Gorskii (1863–1944) traveled extensively in the territory around the Ural Mountains, where he photographed railroad installations, factories, urban settings, and natural landscapes. His visit to the northern Urals in the summer of 1912 included a trip from the regional center of Cherdyn to the remote settlement of Nyrob. Midway between the two is the large village of Vilgort. In the 15th century, Russian settlers made their way to this area, which had long been inhabited by Komi-Permiak ethnic groups. The dominant feature in this photograph, which shows a view from the road to the south of town, is the bell tower of the Church of the Trinity. The basic structure of this church was built in 1777 in a decorated archaic style. In 1902, the church gained a large refectory and bell tower built of red brick in a “Russian Revival” style. The houses seen in the village are constructed primarily of wood. There are a few two-story brick structures visible, probably built by local merchants to be both residence and store. Clusters of pine trees grow alongside the road. The road has been well-maintained, with a firm grade, gutter ditches, and paths to the side. Prokudin-Gorskii used a special color photography process to create a visual record of the Russian Empire in the early 20th century. Some of his photographs date from about 1905, but the bulk of his work is from between 1909 and 1915, when, with the support of Tsar Nicholas II and the Ministry of Transportation, he undertook extended trips through many different parts of the empire.
Title in Original Language
Село Вильгорд по пути из Чердыни в с. Ныроб
Type of Item
Glass negative (presented as a digital color composite)
- Prokudin-Gorskii’s photographic work survives primarily in two forms: 1,901 black-and-white triple-frame glass plate negatives, made with color separation filters, which Prokudin-Gorskii used to make color prints and lantern slides; and 12 albums of sepia-tone prints, made from the glass negatives, which Prokudin-Gorskii compiled as a record of his travels and studies. The Library of Congress purchased the glass plate negatives and the albums from the Prokudin-Gorskii family in 1948. In 2004, the Library of Congress had digital color composites made from all the surviving glass negatives using a software algorithm to automatically align the color components. As with most historical photographs, title and subject identifications are corrected and enhanced through new research. Current information on the collection is at http://www.loc.gov/pictures/collection/prok/.
Last updated: September 28, 2016