Village of Iskor on the Way from Cherdyn to the Village of Nyrob, Ten Versts from the Village of Nyrob
In 1909 and 1910, Russian photographer Sergei Mikhailovich Prokudin-Gorskii (1863–1944) traveled extensively in the territory around the Ural Mountains, where he photographed railroad installations, factories, urban settings, and natural landscapes. His visit to the northern Urals in the summer of 1912 included the settlement of Iskor, situated around ten kilometers south of Nyrob, and on the road to the regional center of Cherdyn. In the 15th century, Russian settlers made their way to this area, which had long been inhabited by Komi-Permiak ethnic groups. The village is located near the small Iskorka River, a tributary of the Kolva River. The dominant feature in this photograph is the whitewashed brick Church of the Nativity of Christ, built in an archaic style in 1783 with a tiered bell tower added in 1786. The church territory is enclosed by a fence. To the left of the bell tower is a two-story brick structure capped with a pediment; this structure may have been the home and store of a merchant. Most of the wooden houses seen here have four-sided roofs. Enclosed plots rise in the distance, with open fields extending over the hillside to the right. Prokudin-Gorskii used a special color photography process to create a visual record of the Russian Empire in the early 20th century. Some of his photographs date from about 1905, but the bulk of his work is from between 1909 and 1915, when, with the support of Tsar Nicholas II and the Ministry of Transportation, he undertook extended trips through many different parts of the empire.
Title in Original Language
Село Искор по пути из Чердыни в с. Ныроб, в 10 в. от с. Ныроб
Type of Item
Glass negative (presented as a digital color composite)
- Prokudin-Gorskii’s photographic work survives primarily in two forms: 1,901 black-and-white triple-frame glass plate negatives, made with color separation filters, which Prokudin-Gorskii used to make color prints and lantern slides; and 12 albums of sepia-tone prints, made from the glass negatives, which Prokudin-Gorskii compiled as a record of his travels and studies. The Library of Congress purchased the glass plate negatives and the albums from the Prokudin-Gorskii family in 1948. In 2004, the Library of Congress had digital color composites made from all the surviving glass negatives using a software algorithm to automatically align the color components. As with most historical photographs, title and subject identifications are corrected and enhanced through new research. Current information on the collection is at http://www.loc.gov/pictures/collection/prok/.
Last updated: September 28, 2016