Ascension-Trinity Monastery, Church of St. Michael Malein (1731), South View, with Procession of the Cross, Saturday, August 12, 2000, Solikamsk, Russia
This view of the Procession of the Cross at the Ascension-Trinity Monastery in Solikamsk was taken in 2000 by Dr. William Brumfield, American photographer and historian of Russian architecture, as part of the "Meeting of Frontiers" project at the Library of Congress. The procession took place on August 12, 2000, and was part of the rededication of the main monastic Church of the Trinity . In the background is the Church of St. Michael Malein. The Ascension Monastery was founded circa 1590 by local tradesmen and free peasants. Its buildings were made of wood until the construction of the Ascension Church in 1698-1704. The monastery was closed in 1764 as part of the reorganization of monasteries under Catherine the Great. After a complex transitional period, it was rededicated as the Ascension-Trinity Monastery at the end of the 18th century, following the transfer to Solikamsk of the Trinity-Istobenskii Monastery (Viakta Province). The monastery was closed in 1928 and converted into a prison--as were other monasteries in the Soviet era. The process of restoring the monastery began in 1999 and was completed the following year.
Type of Item
1 slide : color ; 35 millimeter
Last updated: January 11, 2016