Tomb of Boyar Mikhail Nikitich Romanov in the Winter Church in the Village of Nyrob. Church of Saint Nicholas the Wonder Worker
In 1909 and 1910, Russian photographer Sergei Mikhailovich Prokudin-Gorskii (1863–1944) traveled extensively in the territory around the Ural Mountains, where he photographed railroad installations, factories, urban settings, and natural landscapes. During his visit to the northern Urals (apparently in 1912), Prokudin-Gorskii visited the settlement of Nyrob, located around 160 kilometers north of Solikamsk. This remote location was chosen in 1601 by Tsar Boris Godunov as the place of exile for his purported rival boyar Mikhail Nikitich Romanov, who died there from harsh conditions in 1602. After the founding of the Romanov dynasty in 1613, the site of his death was venerated with two log churches dedicated to the Epiphany and to Saint Nicholas. Seen here is his shrine in the Church of the Epiphany, rebuilt in brick in 1736. The canopy contains an inscription from Psalm 105 (104 in the Russian Orthodox Bible), verse 18, “Whose feet they hurt with fetters: he was laid in iron.” The sepulcher is symbolic; the remains of Romanov were taken to Moscow in 1607. On the wall to the left is a text extolling his place in the House of the Romanovs. Also visible are 19th-century paintings of archangels and saints. The upper medallion shows Archangel Michael with a lance. Prokudin-Gorskii used a special color photography process to create a visual record of the Russian Empire in the early 20th century. Some of his photographs date from about 1905, but the bulk of his work is from between 1909 and 1915, when, with the support of Tsar Nicholas II and the Ministry of Transportation, he undertook extended trips through many different parts of the empire.
Title in Original Language
Гробница боярина Михаила Никитича Романова в с. Ныроб в зимнем соборе. [Храм Св. Николая Чудотворца]
Type of Item
Glass negative (presented as a digital color composite)
- Prokudin-Gorskii’s photographic work survives primarily in two forms: 1,901 black-and-white triple-frame glass plate negatives, made with color separation filters, which Prokudin-Gorskii used to make color prints and lantern slides; and 12 albums of sepia-tone prints, made from the glass negatives, which Prokudin-Gorskii compiled as a record of his travels and studies. The Library of Congress purchased the glass plate negatives and the albums from the Prokudin-Gorskii family in 1948. In 2004, the Library of Congress had digital color composites made from all the surviving glass negatives using a software algorithm to automatically align the color components. As with most historical photographs, title and subject identifications are corrected and enhanced through new research. Current information on the collection is at http://www.loc.gov/pictures/collection/prok/.
Last updated: September 28, 2016