Southern Part of the Village of Nyrob and Entrance into the Village. View from the Bell Tower
In 1909 and 1910, Russian photographer Sergei Mikhailovich Prokudin-Gorskii (1863–1944) traveled extensively in the territory around the Ural Mountains, where he photographed railroad installations, factories, urban settings, and natural landscapes. His visit to the northern Urals (apparently in 1912) included the settlement of Nyrob, located 40 kilometers north of the regional center of Cherdyn. It was here, in 1601, that Tsar Boris Godunov exiled Mikhail Nikitich Romanov, uncle of Mikhail Fedorovich Romanov, who in 1613 became the first tsar of the Romanov dynasty. The death of the elder Romanov from harsh treatment in 1602 endowed the site with special significance for the Romanovs, who sponsored a number of shrines at Nyrob. This view of the settlement, taken from the bell tower next to the Church of Saint Nicholas, shows the large log houses in the southern part of Nyrob and the dense forest beyond. Even the white house in the center here shows details of log construction, although its walls have been covered with painted plank siding. Beyond the settlement, the road leading into Nyrob crosses a bridge over the small Nyrobka River. Along the side of the road is a small log chapel. Prokudin-Gorskii used a special color photography process to create a visual record of the Russian Empire in the early 20th century. Some of his photographs date from about 1905, but the bulk of his work is from between 1909 and 1915, when, with the support of Tsar Nicholas II and the Ministry of Transportation, he undertook extended trips through many different parts of the empire.
Title in Original Language
Южная часть села Ныроб и въезд в село. Вид с колокольни
Type of Item
Glass negative (presented as a digital color composite)
- Prokudin-Gorskii’s photographic work survives primarily in two forms: 1,901 black-and-white triple-frame glass plate negatives, made with color separation filters, which Prokudin-Gorskii used to make color prints and lantern slides; and 12 albums of sepia-tone prints, made from the glass negatives, which Prokudin-Gorskii compiled as a record of his travels and studies. The Library of Congress purchased the glass plate negatives and the albums from the Prokudin-Gorskii family in 1948. In 2004, the Library of Congress had digital color composites made from all the surviving glass negatives using a software algorithm to automatically align the color components. As with most historical photographs, title and subject identifications are corrected and enhanced through new research. Current information on the collection is at http://www.loc.gov/pictures/collection/prok/.
Last updated: September 28, 2016