Street in a Bashkir Village. Ekhia
In 1909 and 1910, Russian photographer Sergei Mikhailovich Prokudin-Gorskii (1863–1944) traveled extensively in the territory around the Ural Mountains, where he photographed railroad installations, factories, urban settings, and natural landscapes. In the summer of 1910 he traveled along the Samara-Zlatoust Railroad (built in 1885–90; now the Ufa-Chelyabinsk line), subsequently a link in the Trans-Siberian Railway through the southern Urals. Seen here is a road that cuts through a Bashkir village. The village is identified as “Ekh’ia.” Although a village of this precise name is not recorded, there is evidence to suggest that it is Iakhino (in present-day Bashkortostan), located near the railroad between Sim Station and Ust-Katav. The modest one-story log houses in this photograph are closely grouped, each with a gate leading to an enclosed yard behind the house. The roofs are constructed of wood, with the exception of one red roof, perhaps constructed of iron. Some of the windows have decorative surrounds. Fields extend in the distance, including a field of yellow grain. The blurred figures seen in the center of this image are probably children. The forms are blurred due to the motion of the children during the three separate exposures used by Prokudin-Gorskii in his photographic process. Prokudin-Gorskii used a special color photography process to create a visual record of the Russian Empire in the early 20th century. Some of his photographs date from about 1905, but the bulk of his work is from between 1909 and 1915, when, with the support of Tsar Nicholas II and the Ministry of Transportation, he undertook extended trips through many different parts of the empire.
Title in Original Language
Улица в башкирской деревне. [Ехья]
Type of Item
Glass negative (presented as a digital color composite)
- Prokudin-Gorskii’s photographic work survives primarily in two forms: 1,901 black-and-white triple-frame glass plate negatives, made with color separation filters, which Prokudin-Gorskii used to make color prints and lantern slides; and 12 albums of sepia-tone prints, made from the glass negatives, which Prokudin-Gorskii compiled as a record of his travels and studies. The Library of Congress purchased the glass plate negatives and the albums from the Prokudin-Gorskii family in 1948. In 2004, the Library of Congress had digital color composites made from all the surviving glass negatives using a software algorithm to automatically align the color components. As with most historical photographs, title and subject identifications are corrected and enhanced through new research. Current information on the collection is at http://www.loc.gov/pictures/collection/prok/.
Last updated: September 28, 2016