On Aleksandrovskii Mount


In 1909 and 1910, Russian photographer Sergei Mikhailovich Prokudin-Gorskii (1863–1944) traveled extensively in the territory around the Ural Mountains, where he photographed railroad installations, factories, urban settings, and natural landscapes. In the summer of 1910 he traveled along the Samara-Zlatoust Railroad (built in 1885–90; now the Ufa-Chelyabinsk line), subsequently a link in the Trans-Siberian Railway through the southern Urals. A spur line was built between Berdiaush Station (on the main line) and the Bakal iron mines, located around 80 kilometers to the southwest. Named after the nearby Bakal River, the mine excavations were located on the western slope of Mount Irkuskan, part of the southwestern Urals in present-day Chelyabinsk Oblast. Incorrectly identified in the caption, this view looking toward the northeast was taken near Irkuskan village in the vicinity of the Bakal mines. Similar to other mountains in the area, including the nearby Ziuratkul Mountain range, Irkuskan is composed of ancient metamorphic rock with a substantial amount of quartzite. As seen here, its craggy cliffs support a variety of conifer and birch trees. Prokudin-Gorskii often photographed natural settings, both to document the local environment and the geographical diversity of the Russian Empire, and to demonstrate the richness of his color process and the range of his photographic technique. Prokudin-Gorskii used a special color photography process to create a visual record of the Russian Empire in the early 20th century. Some of his photographs date from about 1905, but the bulk of his work is from between 1909 and 1915, when, with the support of Tsar Nicholas II and the Ministry of Transportation, he undertook extended trips through many different parts of the empire.

Date Created

Subject Date

Title in Original Language

На Александровской сопке

Type of Item

Physical Description

Glass negative (presented as a digital color composite)


  • Prokudin-Gorskii’s photographic work survives primarily in two forms: 1,901 black-and-white triple-frame glass plate negatives, made with color separation filters, which Prokudin-Gorskii used to make color prints and lantern slides; and 12 albums of sepia-tone prints, made from the glass negatives, which Prokudin-Gorskii compiled as a record of his travels and studies. The Library of Congress purchased the glass plate negatives and the albums from the Prokudin-Gorskii family in 1948. In 2004, the Library of Congress had digital color composites made from all the surviving glass negatives using a software algorithm to automatically align the color components. As with most historical photographs, title and subject identifications are corrected and enhanced through new research. Current information on the collection is at http://www.loc.gov/pictures/collection/prok/.

Last updated: September 28, 2016