Blast Furnaces at the Satkinskii Plant
Shown here is the blast furnace at the Satka Factory (Satkinskii Zavod), located on the Satka River in the Ufa River basin. Established in 1756, the factory was burned in 1774 during Pugachev’s Rebellion. Soon rebuilt, it had several owners before being sold to the state in 1811. Known for the high quality of its iron products, the factory was visited in 1824 by Tsar Alexander I. Railroad development in the 1890s further stimulated the factory, as did the discovery in 1898 of nearby magnesite deposits. By the time of this photograph, the town had some 10,000 inhabitants, many of them Old Believer sectarians. State ownership of the plant is indicated by the large iron two-headed eagle above the pinnacles on the top roof. The image is by Russian photographer Sergei Mikhailovich Prokudin-Gorskii (1863–1944), who used a special color photography process to create a visual record of the Russian Empire in the early 20th century. Some of Prokudin-Gorskii’s photographs date from about 1905, but the bulk of his work is from between 1909 and 1915, when, with the support of Tsar Nicholas II and the Ministry of Transportation, he undertook extended trips through many different parts of the empire. During the summer of 1910 he traveled extensively in the Ural Mountains region, where he photographed transportation networks and factories.
Title in Original Language
Доменныя печи на Саткинском заводе
Type of Item
Glass negative (presented as a digital color composite)
- Prokudin-Gorskii’s photographic work survives primarily in two forms: 1,901 black-and-white triple-frame glass plate negatives, made with color separation filters, which Prokudin-Gorskii used to make color prints and lantern slides; and 12 albums of sepia-tone prints, made from the glass negatives, which Prokudin-Gorskii compiled as a record of his travels and studies. The Library of Congress purchased the glass plate negatives and the albums from the Prokudin-Gorskii family in 1948. In 2004, the Library of Congress had digital color composites made from all the surviving glass negatives using a software algorithm to automatically align the color components. As with most historical photographs, title and subject identifications are corrected and enhanced through new research. Current information on the collection is at http://www.loc.gov/pictures/collection/prok/.
Last updated: September 28, 2016