Dam on the Iurezan River. Buny
In 1909 and 1910, Russian photographer Sergei Mikhailovich Prokudin-Gorskii (1863–1944) traveled extensively in the territory around the Ural Mountains, where he photographed railroad installations, factories, urban settings, and natural landscapes. In the summer of 1910 he traveled along the Samara-Zlatoust Railroad (built in 1885–90; now the Ufa-Chelyabinsk line), subsequently a link in the Trans-Siberian Railway through the southern Urals. In 1905 a spur track was laid from Viazovaia Station to the factory town of Katav-Ivanovsk, located 37 kilometers to the southwest (in present-day Chelyabinsk Oblast). This view shows the Katav-Ivanovsk ironworks, founded in 1755 by Siberian entrepreneurs Ivan Tverdyshev and Ivan Miasnikov. Incorrectly identified in the caption as a dam on the Iurezan River, this image highlights the dam and sluices for the factory pond that was formed on the Katav River, shown here in the center. The river is edged by stone retaining walls. On the right are stacks of pig iron ingots enclosed by a high wooden fence, with factory buildings in the background. Further in the background, rows of wooden houses ascend the hillside. The rail line between the factory and the river shows the ghostly image of a boxcar. The separated colors of the boxcar were caused by motion during the three-stage extended exposure used by Prokudin-Gorskii in his photographic process. Prokudin-Gorskii used a special color photography process to create a visual record of the Russian Empire in the early 20th century. Some of his photographs date from about 1905, but the bulk of his work is from between 1909 and 1915, when, with the support of Tsar Nicholas II and the Ministry of Transportation, he undertook extended trips through many different parts of the empire.
Title in Original Language
Запруда на р. Юрезани. Буны
Type of Item
Glass negative (presented as a digital color composite)
- Prokudin-Gorskii’s photographic work survives primarily in two forms: 1,901 black-and-white triple-frame glass plate negatives, made with color separation filters, which Prokudin-Gorskii used to make color prints and lantern slides; and 12 albums of sepia-tone prints, made from the glass negatives, which Prokudin-Gorskii compiled as a record of his travels and studies. The Library of Congress purchased the glass plate negatives and the albums from the Prokudin-Gorskii family in 1948. In 2004, the Library of Congress had digital color composites made from all the surviving glass negatives using a software algorithm to automatically align the color components. As with most historical photographs, title and subject identifications are corrected and enhanced through new research. Current information on the collection is at http://www.loc.gov/pictures/collection/prok/.
Last updated: September 28, 2016