Pond near Iurezan Plant
In 1909 and 1910, Russian photographer Sergei Mikhailovich Prokudin-Gorskii (1863–1944) traveled extensively in the territory around the Ural Mountains, where he photographed railroad installations, factories, urban settings, and natural landscapes. In the summer of 1910 he traveled along the Samara-Zlatoust Railroad (built in 1885–90; now the Ufa-Chelyabinsk line), subsequently a link in the Trans-Siberian Railway. In 1905 a spur line was built from Viazovaia Station to Katav-Ivanovsk, located 37 kilometers to the southwest. The line passed by the Iuriuzan Iron Factory (in present-day Chelyabinsk Oblast). The Iuriuzan-Ivanovskii factory, as it was originally called, was founded in 1758 by Siberian entrepreneurs Ivan Tverdyshev and Ivan Miasnikov. Seen here are stone jetties; the jetties extend from a levee that protects the railroad track (on the left) and forms a factory reservoir on the Iurezan’ River. The Iuriuzan (as it is now called) is a left tributary of the Ufa River, which flows into Belaia River at the city of Ufa and continues into the Kama-Volga River basin. Before the construction of the railroad, the metal factories of the region shipped products to central Russia by way of this water network. In the right distance are fields, pastures, and log houses of the Iuriuzan settlement. Prokudin-Gorskii used a special color photography process to create a visual record of the Russian Empire in the early 20th century. Some of his photographs date from about 1905, but the bulk of his work is from between 1909 and 1915, when, with the support of Tsar Nicholas II and the Ministry of Transportation, he undertook extended trips through many different parts of the empire.
Title in Original Language
Пруд у Юрезанского завода
Type of Item
Glass negative (presented as a digital color composite)
- Prokudin-Gorskii’s photographic work survives primarily in two forms: 1,901 black-and-white triple-frame glass plate negatives, made with color separation filters, which Prokudin-Gorskii used to make color prints and lantern slides; and 12 albums of sepia-tone prints, made from the glass negatives, which Prokudin-Gorskii compiled as a record of his travels and studies. The Library of Congress purchased the glass plate negatives and the albums from the Prokudin-Gorskii family in 1948. In 2004, the Library of Congress had digital color composites made from all the surviving glass negatives using a software algorithm to automatically align the color components. As with most historical photographs, title and subject identifications are corrected and enhanced through new research. Current information on the collection is at http://www.loc.gov/pictures/collection/prok/.
Last updated: September 28, 2016