Factory Pond and Nikolskaia Mountain. Ust-Katavskii Plant. At the Top of the Mountain, a Chapel in Honor of the Holy Coronation of the Sovereign Emperor Nicholas II
In 1909 and 1910, Russian photographer Sergei Mikhailovich Prokudin-Gorskii (1863–1944) traveled extensively in the territory around the Ural Mountains, where he photographed railroad installations, factories, urban settings, and natural landscapes. In the summer of 1910 he traveled along the Samara-Zlatoust Railroad (built in 1885–90; now the Ufa-Chelyabinsk line), subsequently a link in the Trans-Siberian Railway through the southern Urals. Seen here is a view of Ust-Katav (in present-day Chelyabinsk Oblast), taken from a rise overlooking a corner of the factory territory. Located at the confluence of the Katav River with the Iurezan’ River (now spelled Iuriuzan), Ust-Katav sprung up in 1758 as Siberian entrepreneurs Ivan and Iakov Tverdyshev and Ivan Miasnikov founded a group of ironworking factories. Products from the Ust-Katav factory were shipped to central Russia by way of the Iuriuzan and the Kama-Volga River basin. On the right in this image is the Church of the Nativity of Christ, completed in 1820 and rebuilt in 1847. In the background is the factory pond. The houses in the distance are constructed primarily of wood, with enclosed yards. At the top of Shikhan (or Nikolskaia) Hill is a white chapel commemorating the sacred coronation of Tsar Nicholas II. Prokudin-Gorskii used a special color photography process to create a visual record of the Russian Empire in the early 20th century. Some of his photographs date from about 1905, but the bulk of his work is from between 1909 and 1915, when, with the support of Tsar Nicholas II and the Ministry of Transportation, he undertook extended trips through many different parts of the empire.
Title in Original Language
Заводский пруд и Никольская гора. Усть-Катавский завод. На вершине горы часовня в память Священ. коронования Государя Императора Николая II
Type of Item
Glass negative (presented as a digital color composite)
- Prokudin-Gorskii’s photographic work survives primarily in two forms: 1,901 black-and-white triple-frame glass plate negatives, made with color separation filters, which Prokudin-Gorskii used to make color prints and lantern slides; and 12 albums of sepia-tone prints, made from the glass negatives, which Prokudin-Gorskii compiled as a record of his travels and studies. The Library of Congress purchased the glass plate negatives and the albums from the Prokudin-Gorskii family in 1948. In 2004, the Library of Congress had digital color composites made from all the surviving glass negatives using a software algorithm to automatically align the color components. As with most historical photographs, title and subject identifications are corrected and enhanced through new research. Current information on the collection is at http://www.loc.gov/pictures/collection/prok/.
Last updated: September 28, 2016