Domennaia Hill. Simskii Plant
This vista of the Sim Ironworking Factory (Simskii Zavod) and the adjacent Blast Furnace Hill (Domennaia Gora) was taken from across a factory pond created on the Sim River. Officially renamed in 1928 as Sim (in contemporary Chelyabinsk Oblast), the settlement arose in 1759–60 adjacent to the iron factory, which relied primarily on serf labor. The factory, its settlement, and a church were burned in 1774 by Bashkirs during Pugachev’s Rebellion. All were rebuilt by the end of the decade, when the factory resumed operation. Expanded in the late 18th and 19th centuries, the factory also benefited from the opening in the 1890s of the Samara-Zlatoust Railroad, which linked the area to the national rail system. The image is by Russian photographer Sergei Mikhailovich Prokudin-Gorskii (1863–1944), who used a special color photography process to create a visual record of the Russian Empire in the early 20th century. Some of Prokudin-Gorskii’s photographs date from about 1905, but the bulk of his work is from between 1909 and 1915, when, with the support of Tsar Nicholas II and the Ministry of Transportation, he undertook extended trips through many different parts of the empire. During the summer of 1910 he traveled extensively in the Ural Mountains region, where he photographed transportation networks and geographical features.
Title in Original Language
Доменная гора. Симский завод
Type of Item
Glass negative (presented as a digital color composite)
- Prokudin-Gorskii’s photographic work survives primarily in two forms: 1,901 black-and-white triple-frame glass plate negatives, made with color separation filters, which Prokudin-Gorskii used to make color prints and lantern slides; and 12 albums of sepia-tone prints, made from the glass negatives, which Prokudin-Gorskii compiled as a record of his travels and studies. The Library of Congress purchased the glass plate negatives and the albums from the Prokudin-Gorskii family in 1948. In 2004, the Library of Congress had digital color composites made from all the surviving glass negatives using a software algorithm to automatically align the color components. As with most historical photographs, title and subject identifications are corrected and enhanced through new research. Current information on the collection is at http://www.loc.gov/pictures/collection/prok/.
Last updated: September 28, 2016