Plan of Table Bay with the City of Cape Town
This 1770 Spanish manuscript map depicts the Cape of Good Hope at the southern tip of the continent of Africa. The map shows the coastline, coastal features, soundings, anchorages, a settlement, and a pictorial representation of a ship. It is oriented with east at the top. A note on the map indicates that Cape Town was inhabited by the Dutch, and that the map is a copy of a 1765 original prepared by a frigate of the British East India Company, whose officers allowed a copy to be made in the port of Mauritius. The map is part of the Library of Congress’s collection from the Real Escuela de Navegación, Cadiz, Spain, purchased from Maggs Brothers, London.
Title in Original Language
Plano que contiene la Bahía de Tabla con la ciudad del Cabo
Type of Item
1 manuscript map: color; 49 x 70 centimeters
Last updated: October 17, 2011