Railroad Bridge across the Sim River. Miniarskii Plant
From 1909 to 1912, Russian photographer Sergei Mikhailovich Prokudin-Gorskii (1863–1944) made several trips to the territory around the Ural Mountains, where he photographed railroad installations, factories, urban settings, and natural scenes. In the summer of 1910 Prokudin-Gorskii traveled along the Samara-Zlatoust Railway (built in 1885–92; now the Ufa-Chelyabinsk line). This photograph was taken on the southern outskirts of the town of Miniar (in present-day Chelyabinsk Oblast). Miniar arose in 1771 adjacent to an iron-working factory at the confluence of the Sim and Miniar rivers. In the center of the image is the Sim River railroad bridge, built to a box truss design by the engineer Nikolai A. Beleliubskii (1845–1922). The ends of the bridge rest on stone abutments. The railroad track skirts the forested slopes of the Greben Mountain range. Some 240 kilometers long, the Sim originates in the hills of western Chelyabinsk Oblast and flows southwest to the Belaia River, a tributary of the Kama River. Prokudin-Gorskii used a special color photography process to create a visual record of the Russian Empire in the early 20th century. Some of his photographs date from about 1905, but the bulk of his work is from between 1909 and 1915, when, with the support of Tsar Nicholas II and the Ministry of Transportation, he undertook extended trips through many different parts of the empire.
Title in Original Language
Железнодорожный мост через р. Сим. Миньярский завод
Type of Item
Glass negative (presented as a digital color composite)
- Prokudin-Gorskii’s photographic work survives primarily in two forms: 1,901 black-and-white triple-frame glass plate negatives, made with color separation filters, which Prokudin-Gorskii used to make color prints and lantern slides; and 12 albums of sepia-tone prints, made from the glass negatives, which Prokudin-Gorskii compiled as a record of his travels and studies. The Library of Congress purchased the glass plate negatives and the albums from the Prokudin-Gorskii family in 1948. In 2004, the Library of Congress had digital color composites made from all the surviving glass negatives using a software algorithm to automatically align the color components. As with most historical photographs, title and subject identifications are corrected and enhanced through new research. Current information on the collection is at http://www.loc.gov/pictures/collection/prok/.
Last updated: September 28, 2016