Log House, Turgenev Street #59 (Late 19th Century), Tiumen', Russia
This photograph of a wooden house at No. 59 Turgenev Street in the western Siberian city of Tiumen' was taken in 1999 by Dr. William Brumfield, American photographer and historian of Russian architecture, as part of the "Meeting of Frontiers" project at the Library of Congress. Founded in 1586 on the site of a Tatar settlement at the confluence of the Tiumenka and Tura rivers, Tiumen’ is considered the oldest permanent Russian settlement in Siberia. Until the 19th century, it existed in the shadow of Tobol'sk, located to the north, on the same river network. (The Tura is a tributary of the Tobol River.) In 1834, Tiumen’ launched the first steamship in Siberia. The rapid economic growth of the city was confirmed in 1885 with the construction of a railroad to the industrial center of Ekaterinburg in the Ural Mountains. The town's prosperity was reflected in its elaborately decorated wooden houses. As illustrated here, these houses were of solid log construction on a brick base. (Other examples have painted plank siding.) The high point of their decoration was the large, intricately carved window surrounds. These houses are still habitable and are considered part of the architectural heritage of Tiumen’.
Type of Item
1 slide : color ; 35 millimeter
Last updated: January 11, 2016