Method for Storing Hay. Viazovaia Station
From 1909 to 1912, Russian photographer Sergei Mikhailovich Prokudin-Gorskii (1863–1944) made several trips to the territory around the Ural Mountains, where he photographed railroad installations, factories, urban settings, and natural scenes. This photograph shows part of the village near the railway station at Viazovaia (present-day Chelyabinsk Oblast). Viazovaia is located on what was then called the Samara-Zlatoust Railroad, built in 1885–90. Completed in 1890, the station became the junction of a spur built in 1905 to the factory town of Katav-Ivanovsk, located 37 kilometers southwest. Because of an unexpected snowstorm, the caption of this photograph has a precise date (unusual in this collection): September 12, 1909—or the 25th according to the Western calendar, which was 13 days ahead of the Julian calendar used at the time in Russia. The view centers on large stacks of hay; nearby are log houses with decorative window surrounds and white shutters. One store sign is faintly visible. Barns and sheds merge with yards enclosed by crude fences. In the background is a forest of tall pine trees. Prokudin-Gorskii used a special color photography process to create a visual record of the Russian Empire in the early 20th century. Some of his photographs date from about 1905, but the bulk of his work is from between 1909 and 1915, when, with the support of Tsar Nicholas II and the Ministry of Transportation, he undertook extended trips through many different parts of the empire.
Title in Original Language
Способ хранения сена. Ст. Вязовая
Type of Item
Glass negative (presented as a digital color composite)
- Prokudin-Gorskii’s photographic work survives primarily in two forms: 1,901 black-and-white triple-frame glass plate negatives, made with color separation filters, which Prokudin-Gorskii used to make color prints and lantern slides; and 12 albums of sepia-tone prints, made from the glass negatives, which Prokudin-Gorskii compiled as a record of his travels and studies. The Library of Congress purchased the glass plate negatives and the albums from the Prokudin-Gorskii family in 1948. In 2004, the Library of Congress had digital color composites made from all the surviving glass negatives using a software algorithm to automatically align the color components. As with most historical photographs, title and subject identifications are corrected and enhanced through new research. Current information on the collection is at http://www.loc.gov/pictures/collection/prok/.
Last updated: September 28, 2016