Successive Steps in the Production of Blades, Scabbards, and Manufacture of Welded Damask Steel at the Zlatoust Plant. Types of Soldiers' Sabers
From 1909 to 1912, Russian photographer Sergei Mikhailovich Prokudin-Gorskii (1863–1944) made several trips to the territory around the Ural Mountains, where he photographed railroad installations, factories, urban settings, and natural scenes. Among the towns Prokudin-Gorskii visited in September 1909 was Zlatoust, located in the Ai River valley to the west of Chelyabinsk. Named in honor of Saint John Chrysostom (“golden-tongued,” or zlatoust), the town was founded in 1754 and became a center of finished metal production, including armaments. In 1825 the Director of Mines, Pavel Petrovich Anosov (1796–1851), established a museum devoted to weaponry produced at the Zlatoust factory. Prokudin-Gorskii photographed the museum and documented the various stages in weapons production. Shown here are preliminary forms for various saber components, including wooden grips (left), steel hilt guards (for dragoon sabers), and metal scabbard rings and tips (chapes). These components were produced in a special hilt workshop at the Armory. Prokudin-Gorskii used a special color photography process to create a visual record of the Russian Empire in the early 20th century. Some of his photographs date from about 1905, but the bulk of his work is from between 1909 and 1915, when, with the support of Tsar Nicholas II and the Ministry of Transportation, he undertook extended trips through many different parts of the empire.
Title in Original Language
Последовательный ход выделки клинков, ножен и изготовление сварочнаго булата на Златоустовском заводе. Образцы солдатских шашек
Type of Item
Glass negative (presented as a digital color composite)
- Prokudin-Gorskii’s photographic work survives primarily in two forms: 1,901 black-and-white triple-frame glass plate negatives, made with color separation filters, which Prokudin-Gorskii used to make color prints and lantern slides; and 12 albums of sepia-tone prints, made from the glass negatives, which Prokudin-Gorskii compiled as a record of his travels and studies. The Library of Congress purchased the glass plate negatives and the albums from the Prokudin-Gorskii family in 1948. In 2004, the Library of Congress had digital color composites made from all the surviving glass negatives using a software algorithm to automatically align the color components. As with most historical photographs, title and subject identifications are corrected and enhanced through new research. Current information on the collection is at http://www.loc.gov/pictures/collection/prok/.
Last updated: September 28, 2016