Chapel by the Road, near Zlatoust


The Ural Mountains region is a major source of metal ores. Zlatoust, located in the northwest part of present-day Chelyabinsk Oblast, is named in honor of Saint John Chrysostom (“Golden-Tongued,” or zlatoust). The town was founded in 1754 and became a center of metal working and armaments. Harsh working conditions led to periodic outbreaks of violence such as the Pugachev Rebellion (1774–76). Seen in this 1910 photograph is a large brick chapel on the road near the village of Vetluga, which later became one of the eastern districts of Zlatoust. The unusual design of the structure resembles a house, with a capacious covered porch. The chapel was destroyed during the Soviet era. The road on the left, flanked by telegraph poles, leads to the Tes’ma River. In the distant background is Taganai Mountain. The image is by Russian photographer Sergei Mikhailovich Prokudin-Gorskii (1863–1944), who used a special color photography process to create a visual record of the Russian Empire in the early 20th century. Some of Prokudin-Gorskii’s photographs date from about 1905, but the bulk of his work is from between 1909 and 1915, when, with the support of Tsar Nicholas II and the Ministry of Transportation, he undertook extended trips through many parts of the empire.

Date Created

Subject Date

Title in Original Language

Часовня при дороге близ Златоуста

Type of Item

Physical Description

Glass negative (presented as a digital color composite)


  • Prokudin-Gorskii’s photographic work survives primarily in two forms: 1,901 black-and-white triple-frame glass plate negatives, made with color separation filters, which Prokudin-Gorskii used to make color prints and lantern slides; and 12 albums of sepia-tone prints, made from the glass negatives, which Prokudin-Gorskii compiled as a record of his travels and studies. The Library of Congress purchased the glass plate negatives and the albums from the Prokudin-Gorskii family in 1948. In 2004, the Library of Congress had digital color composites made from all the surviving glass negatives using a software algorithm to automatically align the color components. As with most historical photographs, title and subject identifications are corrected and enhanced through new research. Current information on the collection is at

Last updated: September 28, 2016