Saint Nicholas the Wonder Worker Chapel in the Vetluga Settlement
The town of Zlatoust is located in the northwest part of contemporary Chelyabinsk Oblast. Named in honor of Saint John Chrysostom (Golden-Tongued, or zlatoust), Zlatoust was founded in 1754 and became a center of metalworking and armaments production. One of the pioneering factory owners was Larion I. Luginin, member of a merchant dynasty from Tula. His properties included the village of Vetluga (now an eastern district within Zlatoust), which was settled in the late 18th century by factory serfs from the Vetluga region of Kostroma Province. Seen here is the open Chapel of Saint Nicholas, built of local stone in the late 19th century. At the back of the chapel is a wall of icons. Beyond the row of one-story wooden houses for workers is the main Zlatoust factory pond. The image is by Russian photographer Sergei Mikhailovich Prokudin-Gorskii (1863–1944), who used a special color photography process to create a visual record of the Russian Empire in the early 20th century. Some of Prokudin-Gorskii’s photographs date from about 1905, but the bulk of his work is from between 1909 and 1915, when, with the support of Tsar Nicholas II and the Ministry of Transportation, he undertook extended trips through many parts of the empire. In 1910 Prokudin-Gorskii photographed extensively in the Ural Mountains, a center of the Russian metal industry
Title in Original Language
Часовня во имя Св. Николая Чудотворца в селении Ветлуга
Type of Item
Glass negative (presented as a digital color composite)
- Prokudin-Gorskii’s photographic work survives primarily in two forms: 1,901 black-and-white triple-frame glass plate negatives, made with color separation filters, which Prokudin-Gorskii used to make color prints and lantern slides; and 12 albums of sepia-tone prints, made from the glass negatives, which Prokudin-Gorskii compiled as a record of his travels and studies. The Library of Congress purchased the glass plate negatives and the albums from the Prokudin-Gorskii family in 1948. In 2004, the Library of Congress had digital color composites made from all the surviving glass negatives using a software algorithm to automatically align the color components. As with most historical photographs, title and subject identifications are corrected and enhanced through new research. Current information on the collection is at http://www.loc.gov/pictures/collection/prok/.
Last updated: September 28, 2016