Same Taken from the Dam on the Other Bank of the Ai River. Zlatoust Plant
From 1909 to 1912, Russian photographer Sergei Mikhailovich Prokudin-Gorskii (1863–1944) made several trips to the territory around the Ural Mountains, where he photographed railroad installations, factories, urban settings, and natural scenes. Among the towns Prokudin-Gorskii visited in September 1909 was Zlatoust, located in the Ai River valley to the west of Chelyabinsk. Named in honor of Saint John Chrysostom (“golden-tongued,” or zlatoust), the town was founded in 1754 by Ivan and Maksim Mosolov, entrepreneurs from the central Russian ironworking center of Tula. In 1769, Maksim Mosolov sold the metalworking factory in the town to Tula entrepreneur Larion Luginin. Acquired by the state in 1811, the Zlatoust factory gained renown for its finished metal production, including armaments. This view of the factory shows a wide sluice for the Ai River, feeding the pond which creates hydraulic power for the factory. The gray building on the left with Venetian windows is the Armory, built in 1839 by Ivan Sviiazev (chief architect of the Urals Mining District), with the participation of architect Fedor Telezhkin. In the right background is Kosotur Hill. Prokudin-Gorskii used a special color photography process to create a visual record of the Russian Empire in the early 20th century. Some of his photographs date from about 1905, but the bulk of his work is from between 1909 and 1915, when, with the support of Tsar Nicholas II and the Ministry of Transportation, he undertook extended trips through many different parts of the empire.
Title in Original Language
То же по другому берегу реки Ай. Златоустовский завод
Type of Item
Glass negative (presented as a digital color composite)
- Prokudin-Gorskii’s photographic work survives primarily in two forms: 1,901 black-and-white triple-frame glass plate negatives, made with color separation filters, which Prokudin-Gorskii used to make color prints and lantern slides; and 12 albums of sepia-tone prints, made from the glass negatives, which Prokudin-Gorskii compiled as a record of his travels and studies. The Library of Congress purchased the glass plate negatives and the albums from the Prokudin-Gorskii family in 1948. In 2004, the Library of Congress had digital color composites made from all the surviving glass negatives using a software algorithm to automatically align the color components. As with most historical photographs, title and subject identifications are corrected and enhanced through new research. Current information on the collection is at http://www.loc.gov/pictures/collection/prok/.
Last updated: September 28, 2016