View of the Miass Station from the Mountain
From 1909 to 1912, Russian photographer Sergei Mikhailovich Prokudin-Gorskii (1863–1944) made several trips to the territory around the Ural Mountains, where he photographed railroad installations, factories, urban settings, and natural scenes. Among the towns Prokudin-Gorskii visited in 1909 was Miass, which originated with a copper smelter built in 1773. From the early 19th century until the Bolshevik Revolution in 1917, the Miass River valley was a center of gold prospecting, yet the town remained small. When Prokudin-Gorskii visited, the population had reached almost 20,000. In 1891, Miass served as the western launching point for the construction of the original path of the Trans-Siberian Railway, which stretched 7,000 kilometers to Vladivostok. This view of Miass Station was taken from a hill in the Ilmenskii Range. Groups of boxcars stand on the tracks, along which are warehouses and the station building. Partially visible on the left is a large water tower. At the far left is a small portion of Ilmenskoe Lake. Prokudin-Gorskii used a special color photography process to create a visual record of the Russian Empire in the early 20th century. Some of his photographs date from about 1905, but the bulk of his work is from between 1909 and 1915, when, with the support of Tsar Nicholas II and the Ministry of Transportation, he undertook extended trips through many different parts of the empire.
Title in Original Language
Вид с горы на ст. Миас [i.е. Миасс]
Type of Item
Glass negative (presented as a digital color composite)
- Prokudin-Gorskii’s photographic work survives primarily in two forms: 1,901 black-and-white triple-frame glass plate negatives, made with color separation filters, which Prokudin-Gorskii used to make color prints and lantern slides; and 12 albums of sepia-tone prints, made from the glass negatives, which Prokudin-Gorskii compiled as a record of his travels and studies. The Library of Congress purchased the glass plate negatives and the albums from the Prokudin-Gorskii family in 1948. In 2004, the Library of Congress had digital color composites made from all the surviving glass negatives using a software algorithm to automatically align the color components. As with most historical photographs, title and subject identifications are corrected and enhanced through new research. Current information on the collection is at http://www.loc.gov/pictures/collection/prok/.
Last updated: September 28, 2016