Kamenskii Factory with Workers' Housing. Kamensk-Uralskii
From 1909 to 1912, Russian photographer Sergei Mikhailovich Prokudin-Gorskii (1863–1944) made several trips to the territory around the Ural Mountains, where he photographed railroad installations, factories, urban settings, and natural scenes. This 1909 photograph shows the settlement of Kamenskii Iron Foundry (now Kamensk-Uralskii), located to the southeast of Ekaterinburg at the confluence of the small Kamenka River (seen in the background) with the Iset’ River. The Kamenskii Foundry had its origins in 1682 and was greatly expanded by the state during the reign of Peter I. In the 1820s the factory was rebuilt under the supervision of Mikhail Malakhov (1781–1842), a leading regional architect. Seen in the foreground here is the pond for the foundry, with a protected sluice that channeled water for power. Just left of center and rising above the nearby industrial structures is the white neoclassical dome of the factory administration building. To the right is the Church of the Trinity. Originally built at the turn of the 19th century, the church was expanded in 1821–28 by Malakhov. Prokudin-Gorskii used a special color photography process to create a visual record of the Russian Empire in the early 20th century. Some of his photographs date from about 1905, but the bulk of his work is from between 1909 and 1915, when, with the support of Tsar Nicholas II and the Ministry of Transportation, he undertook extended trips through many different parts of the empire.
Title in Original Language
Каменский завод с рабочими поселениями [Каменск-Уральский]
Type of Item
Glass negative (presented as a digital color composite)
- Prokudin-Gorskii’s photographic work survives primarily in two forms: 1,901 black-and-white triple-frame glass plate negatives, made with color separation filters, which Prokudin-Gorskii used to make color prints and lantern slides; and 12 albums of sepia-tone prints, made from the glass negatives, which Prokudin-Gorskii compiled as a record of his travels and studies. The Library of Congress purchased the glass plate negatives and the albums from the Prokudin-Gorskii family in 1948. In 2004, the Library of Congress had digital color composites made from all the surviving glass negatives using a software algorithm to automatically align the color components. As with most historical photographs, title and subject identifications are corrected and enhanced through new research. Current information on the collection is at http://www.loc.gov/pictures/collection/prok/.
Last updated: September 28, 2016