View of Kamenskii Cast Iron Smelting Factory. Kamensk-Uralskii
From 1909 to 1912, Russian photographer Sergei Mikhailovich Prokudin-Gorskii (1863–1944) made several trips to the territory around the Ural Mountains, where he photographed railroad installations, factories, urban settings, and natural scenes. This 1909 photograph shows the settlement of Kamenskii Iron Foundry (now Kamensk-Uralskii), located to the southeast of Ekaterinburg at the confluence of the small Kamenka River (seen in the background) with the Iset’ River. The Kamenskii Foundry had its origins in 1682 with the construction of a small ironworks by monks of the Dalmatovskii Dormition Monastery, situated down the Iset’ in what is now Kurgan Oblast. With an acute need for military supplies after King Charles XII of Sweden defeated Russia at Narva in 1700, the state reclaimed the monastery works in 1701 and greatly expanded them. In the 1820s the factory was rebuilt under the supervision of Mikhail Malakhov (1781–1842), a leading regional architect. Seen on the right in this photograph are piles of iron ore. Across the river are the wooden houses of factory workers. Prokudin-Gorskii used a special color photography process to create a visual record of the Russian Empire in the early 20th century. Some of his photographs date from about 1905, but the bulk of his work is from between 1909 and 1915, when, with the support of Tsar Nicholas II and the Ministry of Transportation, he undertook extended trips through many different parts of the empire.
Title in Original Language
Вид на Каменский чугунно-плавильный завод [Каменск-Уральский]
Type of Item
Glass negative (presented as a digital color composite)
- Prokudin-Gorskii’s photographic work survives primarily in two forms: 1,901 black-and-white triple-frame glass plate negatives, made with color separation filters, which Prokudin-Gorskii used to make color prints and lantern slides; and 12 albums of sepia-tone prints, made from the glass negatives, which Prokudin-Gorskii compiled as a record of his travels and studies. The Library of Congress purchased the glass plate negatives and the albums from the Prokudin-Gorskii family in 1948. In 2004, the Library of Congress had digital color composites made from all the surviving glass negatives using a software algorithm to automatically align the color components. As with most historical photographs, title and subject identifications are corrected and enhanced through new research. Current information on the collection is at http://www.loc.gov/pictures/collection/prok/.
Last updated: September 28, 2016