Gates of the Imperial Lapidary Works. Ekaterinburg
From 1909 to 1912, Russian photographer Sergei Mikhailovich Prokudin-Gorskii (1863–1944) made several trips to the territory around the Ural Mountains, where he photographed railroad installations, factories, urban settings, and natural scenes. In 1909 and 1910 he photographed extensively in the Urals region, including the city of Ekaterinburg (named Sverdlovsk 1924–91). Seen in this photograph from 1909 is a wall segment of the main city dam with a plaque commemorating the founding of the city. (The caption mistakenly identifies it as the gate to the Imperial Lapidary Factory, which was located nearby.) The inscription reads: “The present workshops are located on the site where in 1723, by order of Emperor Peter I, an iron-working factory was built by Major General Gennin and the town of Ekaterinburg was founded. In 1883–85 the factory was converted to workshops during construction of the Ekaterinburg-Tyumen Railroad.” The plaque is flanked by iron shields that display symbols of transportation development: an iron wheel, anchor, and ax, with a spade at the top center. The wall is capped with iron flourishes, including ornate lantern stands and a neoclassical railing of interlocking rings. Prokudin-Gorskii used a special color photography process to create a visual record of the Russian Empire in the early 20th century. Some of his photographs date from about 1905, but the bulk of his work is from between 1909 and 1915, when, with the support of Tsar Nicholas II and the Ministry of Transportation, he undertook extended trips through many different parts of the empire.
Title in Original Language
Ворота Императорской Гранильной фабрики. [Екатеринбург]
Type of Item
Glass negative (presented as a digital color composite)
- Prokudin-Gorskii’s photographic work survives primarily in two forms: 1,901 black-and-white triple-frame glass plate negatives, made with color separation filters, which Prokudin-Gorskii used to make color prints and lantern slides; and 12 albums of sepia-tone prints, made from the glass negatives, which Prokudin-Gorskii compiled as a record of his travels and studies. The Library of Congress purchased the glass plate negatives and the albums from the Prokudin-Gorskii family in 1948. In 2004, the Library of Congress had digital color composites made from all the surviving glass negatives using a software algorithm to automatically align the color components. As with most historical photographs, title and subject identifications are corrected and enhanced through new research. Current information on the collection is at http://www.loc.gov/pictures/collection/prok/.
Last updated: September 28, 2016