Lane in Kharitonov Garden. Ekaterinburg


This photograph shows Kharitonov Park in the city of Ekaterinburg in the Urals region of Russia as it appeared in 1910. The park was first developed in the late 1820s by Peter Kharitonov as a private park adjoining the Rastorguev estate on Ascension Hill. Kharitonov had married Maria Rastorgueva in 1816, and the Kharitonov and Rastorgueva families both were prominent owners of metal-working factories in the Urals. After 1836, the land reverted to the city, which opened it as the first major public park in Ekaterinburg. A wide variety of trees and other plants were brought to the park over a period of many years. At the center of the park was a rotunda, from which extended two alleys set with fir and linden trees, shown here in early fall colors. In the background is the bell tower of the Church of the Ascension, completed in the late 18thcentury and still one of the largest in the city. The image is by Russian photographer Sergei Mikhailovich Prokudin-Gorskii (1863–1944), who used a special color photography process to create a visual record of the Russian Empire in the early 20th century. Some of Prokudin-Gorskii’s photographs date from about 1905, but the bulk of his work is from between 1909 and 1915, when, with the support of Tsar Nicholas II and the Ministry of Transportation, he undertook extended trips through many parts of the empire.

Date Created

Subject Date

Title in Original Language

Аллея в Харитоновском саду. [Екатеринбург]

Type of Item

Physical Description

Glass negative (presented as a digital color composite)


  • Prokudin-Gorskii’s photographic work survives primarily in two forms: 1,901 black-and-white triple-frame glass plate negatives, made with color separation filters, which Prokudin-Gorskii used to make color prints and lantern slides; and 12 albums of sepia-tone prints, made from the glass negatives, which Prokudin-Gorskii compiled as a record of his travels and studies. The Library of Congress purchased the glass plate negatives and the albums from the Prokudin-Gorskii family in 1948. In 2004, the Library of Congress had digital color composites made from all the surviving glass negatives using a software algorithm to automatically align the color components. As with most historical photographs, title and subject identifications are corrected and enhanced through new research. Current information on the collection is at

Last updated: September 28, 2016