Ekaterinburg. A Pond in the Kharitonov Garden
This view shows the pond in Kharitonov Park, Ekaterinburg, initially planned as a private park adjoining the Rastorguyev estate on Ascension Hill. The area was developed in the late 1820s by Peter Yakovlevich Kharitonov (1794-1838), who married Maria Rastorgueva in 1816. Both families were prominent owners of metal-working factories in the Urals. Accused of cruelty towards workers at his Kyshtym factory, Kharitonov was exiled to Finland in 1837. The territory of his estate reverted to the city, which opened it as the first major public park in Ekaterinburg. A large variety of trees and other plants were brought to the park over a period of many years. Seen here are stands of birches and pines. The park has a rather unkempt look, with water on the far side of the pond covered by an alga bloom. The image is by Russian photographer Sergei Mikhailovich Prokudin-Gorskii (1863–1944), who used a special color photography process to create a visual record of the Russian Empire in the early 20th century. Some of Prokudin-Gorskii’s photographs date from about 1905, but the bulk of his work is from between 1909 and 1915, when, with the support of Tsar Nicholas II and the Ministry of Transportation, he undertook extended trips through many different parts of the empire. In 1909 and 1910 he photographed extensively in the Urals region, including the city of Ekaterinburg.
Title in Original Language
Екатеринбург. Пруд в Харитоновском саду
Type of Item
Glass negative (presented as a digital color composite)
- Prokudin-Gorskii’s photographic work survives primarily in two forms: 1,901 black-and-white triple-frame glass plate negatives, made with color separation filters, which Prokudin-Gorskii used to make color prints and lantern slides; and 12 albums of sepia-tone prints, made from the glass negatives, which Prokudin-Gorskii compiled as a record of his travels and studies. The Library of Congress purchased the glass plate negatives and the albums from the Prokudin-Gorskii family in 1948. In 2004, the Library of Congress had digital color composites made from all the surviving glass negatives using a software algorithm to automatically align the color components. As with most historical photographs, title and subject identifications are corrected and enhanced through new research. Current information on the collection is at http://www.loc.gov/pictures/collection/prok/.
Last updated: September 28, 2016