Kharitonov's House in the City of Ekaterinburg
From 1909 to 1912, Russian photographer Sergei Mikhailovich Prokudin-Gorskii (1863–1944) made several trips to the territory around the Ural Mountains, where he photographed railroad installations, factories, urban settings, and natural scenes. In 1909 and 1910 he photographed extensively in the Urals region, including the city of Ekaterinburg (named Sverdlovsk 1924–91). This 1909 photograph shows the grand Kharitonov-Rastorguev mansion under a light dusting of snow on Ascension Hill. The area was developed in the late 1820s by Peter Yakovlevich Kharitonov (1794–1838), who married Maria Rastorgueva in 1816. Both families were prominent owners of metalworking factories in the Urals. Accused of cruelty towards workers at his Kyshtym factory, Kharitonov was exiled to Finland in 1837. The initial design of the mansion, built in stages from 1794 to 1824, has been attributed to the Swiss architect Tommaso Adamini (1764–1828), but additional work on the ensemble was done by architect Mikhail Malakhov, the leading practitioner of neoclassicism in Ekaterinburg. The main facade of the mansion, with a Corinthian portico, overlooks Ascension Square, which extends from the Ascension Church bell tower. Prokudin-Gorskii used a special color photography process to create a visual record of the Russian Empire in the early 20th century. Some of his photographs date from about 1905, but the bulk of his work is from between 1909 and 1915, when, with the support of Tsar Nicholas II and the Ministry of Transportation, he undertook extended trips through many different parts of the empire.
Title in Original Language
Харитоновский дом в г. Екатеринбурге
Type of Item
Glass negative (presented as a digital color composite)
- Prokudin-Gorskii’s photographic work survives primarily in two forms: 1,901 black-and-white triple-frame glass plate negatives, made with color separation filters, which Prokudin-Gorskii used to make color prints and lantern slides; and 12 albums of sepia-tone prints, made from the glass negatives, which Prokudin-Gorskii compiled as a record of his travels and studies. The Library of Congress purchased the glass plate negatives and the albums from the Prokudin-Gorskii family in 1948. In 2004, the Library of Congress had digital color composites made from all the surviving glass negatives using a software algorithm to automatically align the color components. As with most historical photographs, title and subject identifications are corrected and enhanced through new research. Current information on the collection is at http://www.loc.gov/pictures/collection/prok/.
Last updated: September 28, 2016