Site of Former Altar in a Temporary Tent Church of the Musketeers Regiment. Ekaterinburg
From 1909 to 1912, Russian photographer Sergei Mikhailovich Prokudin-Gorskii (1863–1944) made several trips to the territory around the Ural Mountains, where he photographed railroad installations, factories, urban settings, and natural scenes. In 1909 and 1910 he photographed extensively in the Urals region, including the city of Ekaterinburg (named Sverdlovsk 1924–91). The origin of the city dates to 1723, when Peter the Great ordered the development of the largest iron factory in Russia on the Upper Iset’ River. A large pond was created by damming the river, providing hydraulic power for the factory. Construction was supervised by the engineer Georg Wilhelm de Gennin (Hennin). The settlement of Ekaterinburg was named after Catherine (1684–1727), the second wife of Peter the Great. She briefly ruled as Empress Catherine I after Peter died in 1725. This photograph shows a marble monument on the site of the altar of a tent field church that served the Musketeers Regiment quartered in Ekaterinburg from 1798 to 1807. The monument was located near the Cathedral of Saint Catherine, and both were demolished during the Soviet period. In the background are poles with spans for electrical wires. The chimneys of the log store on the right are crowned with decorative tin covers. Prokudin-Gorskii used a special color photography process to create a visual record of the Russian Empire in the early 20th century. Some of his photographs date from about 1905, but the bulk of his work is from between 1909 and 1915, when, with the support of Tsar Nicholas II and the Ministry of Transportation, he undertook extended trips through many different parts of the empire.
Title in Original Language
Место бывшаго престола в временной полотн. церкви Мушкетерскаго полка. [Екатеринбург]
Type of Item
Glass negative (presented as a digital color composite)
- Prokudin-Gorskii’s photographic work survives primarily in two forms: 1,901 black-and-white triple-frame glass plate negatives, made with color separation filters, which Prokudin-Gorskii used to make color prints and lantern slides; and 12 albums of sepia-tone prints, made from the glass negatives, which Prokudin-Gorskii compiled as a record of his travels and studies. The Library of Congress purchased the glass plate negatives and the albums from the Prokudin-Gorskii family in 1948. In 2004, the Library of Congress had digital color composites made from all the surviving glass negatives using a software algorithm to automatically align the color components. As with most historical photographs, title and subject identifications are corrected and enhanced through new research. Current information on the collection is at http://www.loc.gov/pictures/collection/prok/.
Last updated: September 28, 2016