Ekaterinburg. Entrance into the Tikhvinskii Monastery for Women
Founded in the early 18th century, Ekaterinburg was home to several monastic institutions, including the New Tikhvin Convent, formally established in 1809. By the beginning of the 20th century it was one of the largest convents in Russia, with its capacious Cathedral of Saint Alexander Nevsky (1838-52; not extant). This view shows three churches along the east wall: the Church of Saint Feodosii (far left); the Church of the Presentation, located over the convent’s east gate; and the Church of the Icon of the Mother of God “Joy to all who Grieve.” The churches, all in a neoclassical style, were begun in 1823 to build out the convent’s east flank, and they were completed by the middle of the century. All were severely modified in the Soviet period. The right church (“Skorbiashchenskaia”) has been restored. The image is by Russian photographer Sergei Mikhailovich Prokudin-Gorskii (1863–1944), who used a special color photography process to create a visual record of the Russian Empire in the early 20th century. Some of Prokudin-Gorskii’s photographs date from about 1905, but the bulk of his work is from between 1909 and 1915, when, with the support of Tsar Nicholas II and the Ministry of Transportation, he undertook extended trips through many different parts of the empire. In 1909 and 1910 he photographed extensively in the Urals region, including the city of Ekaterinburg.
Title in Original Language
Екатеринбург. Въезд в женский Тихвинский монастырь
Type of Item
Glass negative (presented as a digital color composite)
- Prokudin-Gorskii’s photographic work survives primarily in two forms: 1,901 black-and-white triple-frame glass plate negatives, made with color separation filters, which Prokudin-Gorskii used to make color prints and lantern slides; and 12 albums of sepia-tone prints, made from the glass negatives, which Prokudin-Gorskii compiled as a record of his travels and studies. The Library of Congress purchased the glass plate negatives and the albums from the Prokudin-Gorskii family in 1948. In 2004, the Library of Congress had digital color composites made from all the surviving glass negatives using a software algorithm to automatically align the color components. As with most historical photographs, title and subject identifications are corrected and enhanced through new research. Current information on the collection is at http://www.loc.gov/pictures/collection/prok/.
Last updated: September 28, 2016