View of Ekaterinburg from the House of the Chief of the Gornyi District
From 1909 to 1912, Russian photographer Sergei Mikhailovich Prokudin-Gorskii (1863–1944) made several trips to the territory around the Ural Mountains. This 1909 photograph shows the main embankment at the southeastern part of City Pond in the town of Ekaterinburg (named Sverdlovsk 1924–91). The dominant landmark is the Church of the Ascension, with a tall bell tower at the west front. Begun in 1790, the church was modified and expanded during the 19th century using a mixture of architectural styles. To the left is the grand Rastorguev-Kharitonov mansion, built in stages from 1794 to 1824, presumably to a design by architect Mikhail Malakhov. The main facade of the mansion, with a Corinthian portico, overlooks Ascension Square, which extends from the Ascension Church bell tower. The mansion’s side facade is also imposing, an ensemble of forms marked by another Corinthian portico. The large structure with a green roof across the street and below the mansion is the Ipatiev house, where Nicholas II and his family were detained and killed during the summer of 1918. Prokudin-Gorskii used a special color photography process to create a visual record of the Russian Empire in the early 20th century. Some of his photographs date from about 1905, but the bulk of his work is from between 1909 and 1915, when, with the support of Tsar Nicholas II and the Ministry of Transportation, he undertook extended trips through many different parts of the empire.
Title in Original Language
Вид на Екатеринбург от дома Начальника Горнаго Округа
Type of Item
Glass negative (presented as a digital color composite)
- Prokudin-Gorskii’s photographic work survives primarily in two forms: 1,901 black-and-white triple-frame glass plate negatives, made with color separation filters, which Prokudin-Gorskii used to make color prints and lantern slides; and 12 albums of sepia-tone prints, made from the glass negatives, which Prokudin-Gorskii compiled as a record of his travels and studies. The Library of Congress purchased the glass plate negatives and the albums from the Prokudin-Gorskii family in 1948. In 2004, the Library of Congress had digital color composites made from all the surviving glass negatives using a software algorithm to automatically align the color components. As with most historical photographs, title and subject identifications are corrected and enhanced through new research. Current information on the collection is at http://www.loc.gov/pictures/collection/prok/.
Last updated: September 28, 2016