Ekaterinburg. View of the House of the Chief of the Gornyi District from the Dam
The center of the Ekaterinburg is occupied by a picturesque pond (more like a lake in size), which was formed by damming the Iset River in 1723. Along the west bank of City Pond was the attractive Gymnasium Embankment, named after the nearby classical high school. The most prominent landmark on the embankment was the mansion built for the chief mining director of the Ural State Factories. Designed in a neoclassical style by the prominent local architect Mikhail Malakhov, the mansion was begun in 1818 and completed in the 1830s. Its imposing main facade has two ionic porticoes that look over the pond. The top portico culminates in a pediment. Across the pond is a brick flour mill. Then as now, Ekaterinburg was a center of grain milling. The image is by Russian photographer Sergei Mikhailovich Prokudin-Gorskii (1863–1944), who used a special color photography process to create a visual record of the Russian Empire in the early 20th century. Some of Prokudin-Gorskii’s photographs date from about 1905, but the bulk of his work is from between 1909 and 1915, when, with the support of Tsar Nicholas II and the Ministry of Transportation, he undertook extended trips through many different parts of the empire. In 1909 and 1910 he photographed extensively in the Urals region, including the city of Ekaterinburg.
Title in Original Language
Екатеринбург. Вид с запруды на дом Начальника Горнаго Округа
Type of Item
Glass negative (presented as a digital color composite)
- Prokudin-Gorskii’s photographic work survives primarily in two forms: 1,901 black-and-white triple-frame glass plate negatives, made with color separation filters, which Prokudin-Gorskii used to make color prints and lantern slides; and 12 albums of sepia-tone prints, made from the glass negatives, which Prokudin-Gorskii compiled as a record of his travels and studies. The Library of Congress purchased the glass plate negatives and the albums from the Prokudin-Gorskii family in 1948. In 2004, the Library of Congress had digital color composites made from all the surviving glass negatives using a software algorithm to automatically align the color components. As with most historical photographs, title and subject identifications are corrected and enhanced through new research. Current information on the collection is at http://www.loc.gov/pictures/collection/prok/.
Last updated: September 28, 2016