City of Ekaterinburg. General View of the Northern Part
From 1909 to 1912, Russian photographer Sergei Mikhailovich Prokudin-Gorskii (1863–1944) made several trips to the territory around the Ural Mountains, where he photographed railroad installations, factories, and urban scenes. This 1909 photograph shows the northern part of the town of Ekaterinburg (named Sverdlovsk 1924–91). There is a clear demarcation between pasturage (with a resting cow) and a long boundary street lined with houses. The houses are built primarily of wood, and typically have four-sloped metal roofs that are painted red. Some of the houses are elevated on a brick ground floor, and almost all have a fence that encloses a yard. Large wooden gates permitted carriage entry to the individual properties. In the center of the photograph, a large brick smokestack stands next to the multistoried flour mill owned by the Makarov brothers. In the background is City Pond, created in 1724 by damming the Iset River to create a power source for the first metal-working factories in the area. Prokudin-Gorskii used a special color photography process to create a visual record of the Russian Empire in the early 20th century. Some of his photographs date from about 1905, but the bulk of his work is from between 1909 and 1915, when, with the support of Tsar Nicholas II and the Ministry of Transportation, he undertook extended trips through many different parts of the empire.
Title in Original Language
г. Екатеринбург. Общий вид северной части
Type of Item
Glass negative (presented as a digital color composite)
- Prokudin-Gorskii’s photographic work survives primarily in two forms: 1,901 black-and-white triple-frame glass plate negatives, made with color separation filters, which Prokudin-Gorskii used to make color prints and lantern slides; and 12 albums of sepia-tone prints, made from the glass negatives, which Prokudin-Gorskii compiled as a record of his travels and studies. The Library of Congress purchased the glass plate negatives and the albums from the Prokudin-Gorskii family in 1948. In 2004, the Library of Congress had digital color composites made from all the surviving glass negatives using a software algorithm to automatically align the color components. As with most historical photographs, title and subject identifications are corrected and enhanced through new research. Current information on the collection is at http://www.loc.gov/pictures/collection/prok/.
Last updated: September 28, 2016