City of Ekaterinburg. General View of the Southern Part
From 1909 to 1912, Russian photographer Sergei Mikhailovich Prokudin-Gorskii (1863–1944) made several trips to the territory around the Ural Mountains, where he photographed railroad installations, factories, and urban scenes. This 1909 photograph shows the southern districts of the town of Ekaterinburg (named Sverdlovsk 1924–91), dotted with churches and bell towers, many of which were demolished during the Soviet period. Visible with two domes in the center background is the Church of the Icon of the Mother of God “Assuage My Sorrow.” Attached to the archbishop’s residence, this church was consecrated in 1834 and expanded over the next several decades. Its domes were demolished when the Soviets converted the structure to a medical institution. On the right is the large neoclassical Cathedral of Saint Alexander Nevsky, built at the new Tikhvin Convent by M.P. Malakhov in 1838–54. Many of the houses in the town have a typical four-sloped metal roof construction. Built primarily of wood, some of the houses are elevated on a brick ground floor. Prokudin-Gorskii used a special color photography process to create a visual record of the Russian Empire in the early 20th century. Some of his photographs date from about 1905, but the bulk of his work is from between 1909 and 1915, when, with the support of Tsar Nicholas II and the Ministry of Transportation, he undertook extended trips through many different parts of the empire.
Title in Original Language
г. Екатеринбург. Общий вид южной части
Type of Item
Glass negative (presented as a digital color composite)
- Prokudin-Gorskii’s photographic work survives primarily in two forms: 1,901 black-and-white triple-frame glass plate negatives, made with color separation filters, which Prokudin-Gorskii used to make color prints and lantern slides; and 12 albums of sepia-tone prints, made from the glass negatives, which Prokudin-Gorskii compiled as a record of his travels and studies. The Library of Congress purchased the glass plate negatives and the albums from the Prokudin-Gorskii family in 1948. In 2004, the Library of Congress had digital color composites made from all the surviving glass negatives using a software algorithm to automatically align the color components. As with most historical photographs, title and subject identifications are corrected and enhanced through new research. Current information on the collection is at http://www.loc.gov/pictures/collection/prok/.
Last updated: September 28, 2016