Perm. Summertime Location of the Exchange
From 1909 to 1912, Russian photographer Sergei Mikhailovich Prokudin-Gorskii (1863–1944) made several trips to the territory around the Ural Mountains, where he photographed railroad installations, factories, and urban scenes. Shown here is the wooden pavilion built in 1908 to serve as the summer office of the stock exchange in the city of Perm. Its construction followed improvements to Embankment Park (a park overlooking the Kama River) undertaken in 1906–07 (evident in the recently planted saplings). The profusely decorated small structure exemplified the “Ropet style,” named after Ivan Ropet (pseudonym of Ivan Petrov, 1845–1908), a proponent of traditional Russian motifs in architectural design. The clearly-visible telegraph line conveyed stock information to the office. In 1928, Embankment Park was renamed in honor of the writer Fedor Reshetnikov (1841–71), whose works dealt with the harsh realities for the working people of the region. Reshetnikov Park still exists, but the building in this image was razed in the 1960s. Prokudin-Gorskii used a special color photography process to create a visual record of the Russian Empire in the early 20th century. Some of his photographs date from about 1905, but the bulk of his work is from between 1909 and 1915, when, with the support of Tsar Nicholas II and the Ministry of Transportation, he undertook extended trips through many different parts of the empire.
Title in Original Language
Пермь. Летнее помещение биржи
Type of Item
Glass negative (presented as a digital color composite)
- Prokudin-Gorskii’s photographic work survives primarily in two forms: 1,901 black-and-white triple-frame glass plate negatives, made with color separation filters, which Prokudin-Gorskii used to make color prints and lantern slides; and 12 albums of sepia-tone prints, made from the glass negatives, which Prokudin-Gorskii compiled as a record of his travels and studies. The Library of Congress purchased the glass plate negatives and the albums from the Prokudin-Gorskii family in 1948. In 2004, the Library of Congress had digital color composites made from all the surviving glass negatives using a software algorithm to automatically align the color components. As with most historical photographs, title and subject identifications are corrected and enhanced through new research. Current information on the collection is at http://www.loc.gov/pictures/collection/prok/.
Last updated: September 28, 2016