City of Perm. General View
From 1909 to 1912, Russian photographer Sergei Mikhailovich Prokudin-Gorskii (1863–1944) made several trips to the territory around the Ural Mountains, where he photographed railroad installations, factories, and urban scenes. This 1909 photograph shows the central district of the city of Perm, seen in a view toward the southwest from an area called City Hills. A mixture of wooden and masonry houses line the streets approaching downtown. In the right background stands the Cathedral of the Transfiguration, with a neoclassical bell tower. Smoke from a factory chimney obscures the bell tower of the Cathedral of the Trinity on the Sludka and the minaret of the main mosque in Perm. To the left is the detached bell tower (now demolished) of the Church of Saint Nicholas and Saint Alexandra of Rome at the Mariinskii Women’s high school. Dimly visible in the distance on what is now Lenin Street is the enormous Dormition Cathedral (now demolished) of the Dormition Convent. Farther to the left are the Churches of the Nativity of the Virgin and the orphanage Church of Maria Magdalene. Prokudin-Gorskii used a special color photography process to create a visual record of the Russian Empire in the early 20th century. Some of his photographs date from about 1905, but the bulk of his work is from between 1909 and 1915, when, with the support of Tsar Nicholas II and the Ministry of Transportation, he undertook extended trips through many different parts of the empire.
Title in Original Language
г. Пермь. Общий вид
Type of Item
Glass negative (presented as a digital color composite)
- Prokudin-Gorskii’s photographic work survives primarily in two forms: 1,901 black-and-white triple-frame glass plate negatives, made with color separation filters, which Prokudin-Gorskii used to make color prints and lantern slides; and 12 albums of sepia-tone prints, made from the glass negatives, which Prokudin-Gorskii compiled as a record of his travels and studies. The Library of Congress purchased the glass plate negatives and the albums from the Prokudin-Gorskii family in 1948. In 2004, the Library of Congress had digital color composites made from all the surviving glass negatives using a software algorithm to automatically align the color components. As with most historical photographs, title and subject identifications are corrected and enhanced through new research. Current information on the collection is at http://www.loc.gov/pictures/collection/prok/.
Last updated: September 28, 2016