General View of the City of Perm from Gorodskie Gorki
From 1909 to 1912, Russian photographer Sergei Mikhailovich Prokudin-Gorskii (1863–1944) made several trips to the territory around the Ural Mountains, where he photographed railroad installations, factories, and urban scenes. This 1909 photograph shows the central district of the city of Perm, seen in a view toward the west from an area called City Hills. The complex of brick buildings in the foreground served as the maintenance center for the Urals Railway. On the right is the bustling waterfront of the Kama River, one of the main tributaries of the Volga. In the distance is a railway bridge spanning the Kama. The center of the image is dominated by the Cathedral of the Transfiguration (begun in 1793 and completed in 1832), with a neoclassical bell tower designed by Ivan Sviiazev. To the left of that cathedral is the bell tower of the main Cathedral of the Trinity on the Sludka (1842–55), and further to the left is the towering minaret of the main mosque in Perm, built in 1902–03 by Aleksandr Ozhegov. A number of historic buildings still stand in this area. Prokudin-Gorskii used a special color photography process to create a visual record of the Russian Empire in the early 20th century. Some of his photographs date from about 1905, but the bulk of his work is from between 1909 and 1915, when, with the support of Tsar Nicholas II and the Ministry of Transportation, he undertook extended trips through many different parts of the empire. .
Title in Original Language
Общий вид на г. Пермь с Городских Горок
Type of Item
Glass negative (presented as a digital color composite)
- Prokudin-Gorskii’s photographic work survives primarily in two forms: 1,901 black-and-white triple-frame glass plate negatives, made with color separation filters, which Prokudin-Gorskii used to make color prints and lantern slides; and 12 albums of sepia-tone prints, made from the glass negatives, which Prokudin-Gorskii compiled as a record of his travels and studies. The Library of Congress purchased the glass plate negatives and the albums from the Prokudin-Gorskii family in 1948. In 2004, the Library of Congress had digital color composites made from all the surviving glass negatives using a software algorithm to automatically align the color components. As with most historical photographs, title and subject identifications are corrected and enhanced through new research. Current information on the collection is at http://www.loc.gov/pictures/collection/prok/.
Last updated: September 28, 2016