Razguliai, Outskirts of the City of Perm
From 1909 to 1912, Russian photographer Sergei Mikhailovich Prokudin-Gorskii (1863–1944) made several trips to the territory around the Ural Mountains, where he photographed railroad installations, factories, and urban scenes. Shown in this 1909 photograph is the Razguliai district on the edge of the city of Perm. Construction in this district began no later than 1723. A factory settlement on the small Egoshikha River, it is considered the oldest area of Perm, which received town status in 1781. The large wooden houses in the image are log structures, some of which have plank siding and rest on brick ground floors. Cow paths mark the near slope in this semi-rural setting. In the background is the large Egoshikha Cemetery and two churches: the Church of the Dormition (left), completed in 1905 by Aleksandr Ozhegov; and the neoclassical rotunda Church of All Saints (right), rebuilt in brick in the 1830s by Ivan Sviiazev. A bell tower is under construction at the west end of the latter church. Both churches are now open for worship. Prokudin-Gorskii used a special color photography process to create a visual record of the Russian Empire in the early 20th century. Some of his photographs date from about 1905, but the bulk of his work is from between 1909 and 1915, when, with the support of Tsar Nicholas II and the Ministry of Transportation, he undertook extended trips through many different parts of the empire.
Title in Original Language
Пригород г. Перми - Разгуляй
Type of Item
Glass negative (presented as a digital color composite)
- Prokudin-Gorskii’s photographic work survives primarily in two forms: 1,901 black-and-white triple-frame glass plate negatives, made with color separation filters, which Prokudin-Gorskii used to make color prints and lantern slides; and 12 albums of sepia-tone prints, made from the glass negatives, which Prokudin-Gorskii compiled as a record of his travels and studies. The Library of Congress purchased the glass plate negatives and the albums from the Prokudin-Gorskii family in 1948. In 2004, the Library of Congress had digital color composites made from all the surviving glass negatives using a software algorithm to automatically align the color components. As with most historical photographs, title and subject identifications are corrected and enhanced through new research. Current information on the collection is at http://www.loc.gov/pictures/collection/prok/.
Last updated: September 28, 2016