View of the Solovetskii Monastery from the Inn. Solovetski Islands
The Murmansk Railroad was built by the Russian government during World War I to connect Petrograd (Saint Petersburg) to the ice-free port of Romanov-on-Murman (now Murmansk). Construction lasted from 1914 to the spring of 1917 when the line was completed. Near the route was the monumental Transfiguration Monastery, located on Great Solovetskii Island. This photograph, showing the monastery’s west wall, was taken from a large hotel next to the pier at the Harbor of Blessedness. The massive walls of the monastery were constructed primarily of granite boulders, and were built between 1582 and 1621. The Church of the Annunciation (seen on the left) is situated over the Holy Gates, the main monastery entrance. Built between 1596 and 1601 and later modified, the basic structure of this church still exists. On the right is the Chapel of Saint Alexander Nevsky, built in 1858 to commemorate a visit by Tsar Alexander II. In the background is the Priadilnaia Tower. The image is by Russian photographer Sergei Mikhailovich Prokudin-Gorskii (1863–1944), who used a special color photography process to create a visual record of the Russian Empire in the early 20th century. Some of his photographs date from about 1905, but the bulk of his work is from between 1909 and 1915, when, with the support of Tsar Nicholas II and the Ministry of Transportation, he undertook extended trips through many different parts of the empire. Support for his work was renewed during the First World War, and in 1916 he was commissioned to photograph this new railroad project; he also photographed regions along the route.
Title in Original Language
Вид на [Соловецкий] монастырь из гостиницы. [Соловецкие острова]
Type of Item
Glass negative (presented as a digital color composite)
- Prokudin-Gorskii’s photographic work survives primarily in two forms: 1,901 black-and-white triple-frame glass plate negatives, made with color separation filters, which Prokudin-Gorskii used to make color prints and lantern slides; and 12 albums of sepia-tone prints, made from the glass negatives, which Prokudin-Gorskii compiled as a record of his travels and studies. The Library of Congress purchased the glass plate negatives and the albums from the Prokudin-Gorskii family in 1948. In 2004, the Library of Congress had digital color composites made from all the surviving glass negatives using a software algorithm to automatically align the color components. As with most historical photographs, title and subject identifications are corrected and enhanced through new research. Current information on the collection is at http://www.loc.gov/pictures/collection/prok/.
Last updated: September 23, 2016